non payment/part payment

Looking for some advice. Someone bought an old van off me and paid a deposit and said they'd come and pick it up and pay the rest on collection. That was last year. I recieved a message last December saying could i wait a while for pick up. I agreed,not specifying the timescale. It is now April, so put it up again and he's been in touch asking me why I'm selling it again! I'm not sure how this leaves me legally as he's paid a deposit. Any ideas? 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

non payment/part payment

If you're not going to sell to him you should return the deposit if you're the one cancelling the deal. 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

non payment/part payment

Personally I agree with what Peasebottom has already stated.  However, if you are willing to sell the vehicle to the buyer but are running out of patience with him/her, then send the buyer a message saying somethng along the lines of "I am only willing to wait until [insert date here] at the latest for you to collect the vehicle and pay the remander of the balance.   If the vehicle has not been collected by this date and the remainder of the balance paid in full then I will be returning your deposit in its entirety, as I have already been waiting for four months for you to collect the vehicle."

Although some people may feel that this kind of response is a bit blunt, it will at least let the buyer know where he/she stands, as well as delivering a "Stop messing me around" message, and perhaps will even serve to give him/her the necessary kick up the backside to pick the vehicle up in the near future so that you can get the sale completed.

In the event that the buyer objects to your message regarding the vehicle refund the deposit in full as per your warning, add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List and keep the relisted version of the ad live so as to maximise your chances of attracting a buyer who won't mess you around and will collect the vehicle within an acceptable timeframe and pay you the money in full.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent