funds on hold

Hi 

Just wondering why my funds are on hold when i have 100 pos feedback, been on ebay now for 3 years in fact alot longer, bank acc verified etc. Is this just a money making scam by ebay?

Can i request a lift on my held fiunds

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

funds on hold

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Check out eBay's guidance on 'payment holds'. That should explain it to you.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

No it does not
Ive been here for a good while 100 pos feedback and sold 10 items with no issues.
Why are my payments on hold?
Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

eBay's guidance on 'payment holds' explains why your payments may be held you obviously didn't read it,I have bolded the relevant information.

To help ensure eBay remains a safe place to buy and sell, and to meet our legal and compliance obligations, we sometimes place a hold on funds, for example, if there's an open case or dispute on a transaction, if your buyer reports a problem with the order, if your account is restricted or suspended, if you owe eBay money, or if you're a new or infrequent seller. If we placed a hold on your funds, we'll notify you by email and, depending on the reason, may request additional information from you to help resolve the issue.

There are various reasons why we may place a hold on your funds.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

You have not sold anything for a while and have sold a high value item.  The last feedback you received as a seller was over a year ago.

Ebay are holding your funds as a security measure.

Adding tracking proving delivery may speed up your payment.

Buyers have 30 days to complain about non-delivery or open a return and Ebay don't want to have to pay out for claims so may hold funds until/unless members are well established and frequent sellers.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Hi
No lets face it,
Ebay do this simply to hold onto funds as in their benefit. I have sold things in under a year.
No i wont be able to do the tracking number etc as it says plainly in my add collection only as i have already arranged a pick up only with the buyer.
I think ebay just make up rules as they go along, Anyway...............................
Regards
Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Members with a combined total of nearly 50 years experience have taken the trouble to try and assist the OP, so why the attitude?

There's no point posting a question if you’ve already decided everything is a "money making scam by eBay". 

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

I stated 'you have not sold anything for a while' - only one item is showing as a recent sale.  You have not left feedback for a buyer for about 6 months.  That's 'a while' - you are an infrequent seller by anybody's standards.

I said, 'The last feedback you received as a seller was over a year ago.'  That is accurate.

On your listing it does not say 'collection only'.  It says 'courier'. Unless I am looking at a different listing of course.

When the buyer collects, make sure you get the collection code from your buyer so Ebay are aware the item has been collected.

You have been provided with Ebay rules about sometimes holding payments by at least two other members.  This is not 'making it up as they go along'.

If you don't like Ebay holding your money, you can ask for cash on collection for collection only items.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Hi Sorry what is a collection code?
The buying is picking it up herself from my home - where does the buyer get a "collection code" from?

OK i may cancel this with agreement from the buyer and just restart - Will my ebay fees be reimbursed?
Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

There won't be a collection code if you didn't list it with a collection option.

If the buyer agrees to cancel and you cancel on that basis, you will get a final value fee credit.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

For information >  Setting Cash payment on listing > 'No postage: Local collection only' < for personal Inspection/Collection items is allowed using these links , so No Payment holds or risk of later disputes ... buyers will see 'Contact seller to arrange payment/collection' ... QR code is not essential for buyer collection ... see >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816...

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

If you’re prepared to have buyers collect from you, it’s best to set this up when you create the listing. Specify 'cash on collection' and then there’s no issues with payment holds, and minimal risk of being scammed by a dishonest buyer.

If your buyer has made a non-cash payment (I.e. PayPal, credit card, etc.) and you don’t take a collection code then the eBay fees are the least of your worries. You are exposed to the risk of the buyer claiming they haven’t received the item, and you’ll have nothing to prove collection: at least, nothing that eBay accept as proof. In such circumstances, buyers nearly always win an 'item not received' case and will be refunded. 

Most people are honest. I sincerely hope your buyer is.

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

OK so am i best to just cancel the whole transaction and start again making sure i do collection in person?
If so how do i cancel this whole transaction?
Dax
Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

The decision to cancel or not is your call.

I'm not exactly sure what the process is, as I’ve never has cause to cancel (it’s some years since I sold anything, and the systems change.) When a seller cancels they need to select from a list of reasons, none of which precisely fit your situation. Perhaps the closest match would be to state "item no longer available", but I believe that would cost you fees and incur an account defect. Some of the options don’t come with penalties, but make it look like the buyer was at fault, which is likely to attract unwelcome feedback. 

I'm hoping an experienced seller can contribute a better answer than mine.

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Your answer is correct.  Unless the buyer requests to cancel (or there are re problems eith their address), all of the other reasons are deemed the seller's fault and come with a defect and no selling fee credit.

But ebay does accept proof of collection other than codes, for example, messages, and apparantly,  a signed receipt by the buyer,  but I wouldn't rely on the latter.

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

So why would I as a seller ship and item that was sold when Ebay places hold on the funds? Does Ebay at this point already have the money or is the money stuck somewhere in limbo and there is no actual guarantee that I will get it? What happens if I ship an item, funds are refused and I end up screwed out of both money and the item? I've been buying and selling on Ebay for over 20 years so this is kind of ridiculous.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Hello mcgui

Im with you on this, I am really.....very insensed that ebay has produced this option as its just what scum scammers would do to scam you.

mcgui, I am teatering on the brink of closing my ebay account of many years on the basis of this outright silly crazy daft option.

I mean its not really ebays fault this, this would have been a good idea if there was no scum scammers

but there is and its now a silly idea.

Take care mcgui....

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

Yep

Im just so insensed with this (funds on hold) idea, I mean this very reply Im typing may as well be a whole elaberate scam website and its not really ebay Im typing on....ON the national tv news...they keep saying it....

scammers are getting very good at imitating websites when you have been hacked but as I says in another reply to mcgui, its not really ebays fault..

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

funds on hold

I have recently sold an item which I personnally delivered and the buyer has acknowledged receipt of via the ebay messages. The funds on hold asks for a scan of a QR code which the buyer maintains she never received and she has posted on messages a screen shot of what ebay sent her and acknowledgement of receipt of delivery, so why wont ebay release funds.

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: