How to input my EU VAT number?

Hi, 

How can I, as a buyer (either individual or company), add my VAT number so that I wont get charged VAT during checkout when I order things from outside of the EU.

Normally there should be a button in my account somewhere (which will do a VIES check) but I cant find one.. eBay, please help!! 

Ebay's help docs say this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/selling/vat-obligations-eu?id=4650#section8

john_may2012_0-1709157665155.png

So how can I add my VAT number?

Note: I was told the UK boards are best for this question even though I use the .com ebay most of the time.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

You need a business account to enter a VAT number 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

So I will need a new account then?

What about entering it here?
https://www.ebay.com/spr/vat

Will this apply the VAT number when I buy things?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi john_may2012, thanks for your post.

I've just reviewed this, and your account is a buying only account at the moment, so you won't be given an option to enter your VAT number. You'd need to register as a seller, and then upgrade your account to business. If you click here, you can see how to register as a seller, and if you click here, you can see how to upgrade to a business account from private.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi marco@ebay , I checked all the links but the "edit" button next to account type: individual, is not present. Since I couldnt change the account type (even after I put my VAT num in the sellers portal), I ended up making a business account.

But even with my new account the only place I can put the VAT number is as a seller and not as a buyer. And when i try to buy something, the system still tries to charge me VAT.

Any idea what I can do?

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi john_may2012, thanks for your reply.

I've just checked, and you are still not registered as a seller. So, you won't have that option available until you register yourself as a seller first.

As advised before, you would need to follow the instructions above to register a seller first, and then you can upgrade to business after setting up your selling account following the instructions above.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got payments related questions? Start here: