Desperately looking for advice about ebay taking money out of my account for no reason!

Hi all

I have read many posts about double charging etc but this very different. I have made 5 or 6 purchases on ebay and that's it. Total around £450. Nothing bought since the first of Sept this year.

So, Imagine my surprise whe in the early hours of the morning a payment left my debit card for over £800. I instantly got hold of the 24/7 chat and started a claim over the money which also meant I had to cancel a brand new card which was never used on ebay, Just netflix and discovery! The next morning at 00.01 they attempted to take a further £2100.

I have spoken to ebay but since I told them I did not make these payments they wouldn't speak to me. How am I meant to find out where this came from? There is no other purchase on my account and for some reason I never got the notification for approval through the app and I generally have to approve amounts above £50, sometmes less when topping up mobile phones!

Any advice or help on how this could happen and what I should do would be a help. I am trying to build up a picture of scenarios but  am a bit lost.

anybody else encountered something similar to this?

AS

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Desperately looking for advice about ebay taking money out of my account for no reason!

papso22
Experienced Mentor

The two possibilities are your ebay account was hacked to get your card details which were then used to make purchases but not through your ebay account.

Or , your bank card was hacked elsewhere and used to make purchases.

It's your bank you need to be dealing with, not eBay, even if the purchases involved eBay.  You won't be told where it came from, and don't need to know where, just that it's fraudulent use of your bank card.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

catshome1
Conversationalist

If whatever happened was not done through your eBay account, these are really questions for your bank to answer.  Especially why the first payment was "allowed" without the usual verification process you mention.

Have you changed your password on your eBay account, and checked that your email address and any other addresses have not been changed, just in case your account was hacked to obtain your banking details?

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi payment went out of my card with out me knowing can someone tell me please whats this for?

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

It could be your credit card's been hacked. Mine was last year. The "purchases" said all kinds but were merely mechanisms to remove money (the card provider, although it investigates, refuses to share much with you their customer), so the "eBay" purchases could be fake i.e. eBay's site not involved in any way.

My PIN number was still secure as it was the card I used solely to do online transactions, so if your PIN number still is secure then don't assume your card hasn't been hacked. If it turns out you've been hacked, when your card provider stops your card and issues a new one with a totally new number but don't issue a new PIN number, then obviously change the PIN number yourself as soon as you receive it. And take precautions afterwards e.g. I now shop in only a few places online, keep my credit maximum low, and I check my account often!

My card provider alerted me, only when my credit limit maximum had almost been reached, by which time the villains had stolen several £thousands. Don't wait for your card provider's automatic precautions to kick in.

Contact your card provider straightaway!

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes this is happening to me now and I'm 95 and I think they thought I was stupid. I have bought things from them sometimes mostly use amazom( no problem) but made an order to eBay 15th January it arrived and was paid for 

now on 15th FEBRUARY ORDERED SMALL ORDER 4pairs of flt socks order £17 04 

but when I checked my account online saw £57 99 had been charged got onto eBay you CANT SPEAK TO ANYONE but e mailed them and they just asked if I wanted to cancel order to which I said yes but all they did was cancel genuine order just sent in and was still claiming (£40 68 ) for made up order duplicate of my last received & paid order now they are saying this FALSE order is on its way to me and my bank have paid it although I had told my bank what was happening 

can anyone HELP me they think because I am 95 I haven't seen this CAN I REFUSE DELIVERIES FROM EBAY COMING FROM EBAY AND RETURN TO SENDER ???and how do you stop them from using your card. I call this FRAUD who deals with that . 
is this COMMUNITY RUN BY EBAY?????

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Please urgently see my earlier post. About card being possibly hacked. Anyway, strongly advise you contact your card provider immediately.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes i have i have been charge for up to eight items a day for things i did not order i have been told by my bank they google has my bank details know body will help me do you know how to contact ebay

susan

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

You can request a call back from Ebay to sort this out.

You can do this via the help and contact link at the bottom of most pages.

Best time to do this is just after 8am Mon to Fri or just after 9am on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Sounds like your account may have been hacked so change all passwords straight away and DON'T click on any links you might get in any emails.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Also, please be warned that there's a common scam where scammers phone you (and lots of people) and play a recorded message saying it's your bank and there's been a suspicious transaction.

Happened to me today. I answered the phone as the number displayed was a local number and looked very close to the number of someone I knew (I realised later), and scammers claimed a suspicious international transaction of £699 attempted on my card. At that point, being afraid to trust it, I said nothing but hung up and rang my bank using the phone number printed on my card. The bank told me it was a scam. I'd hung up on the scammers before getting to the point of being told to input / confirm personal info, but the scammers are after your personal card info, date of birth etc.

Scammers rely on panicking you into doing what they tell you. I had a lucky escape, but unfortunately they now know that my number is a "live" line.

You can't trust the number calling display. I've heard this can be faked.

What particularly concerned me was the scammers were using a voice that sounded extremely like my bank's actual voice recording - they're damned clever, these scammers.

Please stay safe, everyone.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I tried to make a payment, it was rejected twice, so I left and came back, paid again, and it went through. But to my surprise, eBay charged my debit card twice for the same amount, and now they're saying they have no record of any other payment from me except for the one that went through. This is a total lie because they charged me $500 for the denied payment. The system works very poorly for other countries when it comes to payments in dollars.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent