Automatic payments to PayPal

I made an offer on eBay which was accepted. However, I was expecting to get a payment request but it seems that the payment has automatically been made by PayPal without me being able to check the account that PayPal is to take the money from, or to change the delivery address. Is this normal? Everything is ok, but what if I wanted to change the account to take the money from, or the delivery address? Can I do anything to stop automatic payments being done in the future please?
Thanks
Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Automatic payments to PayPal

Yes, this is normal, it is a new system that was introduced last year to stop buyers from making offers and then not paying. 

Only sellers can opt out of the pre-authorised payment system, so nothing you can do other than ask sellers if they would be prepared to opt out before you make an offer. 

When you make an offer, at the top of the confirmation screen (after entering the offer amount and selecting continue) it will tell you if the payment is to be taken automatically.  You don't have to proceed if you don't wish to.

There are also now options on the confirmation screen to add/change payment method, change delivery address (although you can't currently use Click and Collect addresses for some reason), change postage method, and add a coupon. 

If you wish to change the funding source (bank account/card) to be used when paying with PayPal then this would need to be done within your PayPal account itself before making the offer, but please note that any changes made in PayPal will apply to all offers made on eBay until changed again.

Also, unfortunately, PayPal Credit and PayPal Pay in 3 cannot currently be used with the pre-authorised payment system. 

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent