Why doesn't eBay support a claim for refund when the seller refuses and closes a request

Return has been refused by the seller, despite missing components and missing assembly instructions.

Seller has delayed and obfuscated, making promises in order to delay the process (possibly hoping that my chance to leave fedback will time-out) and has now closed a returns request whch eBay refuses to reconsider.

Unless anyone has a better idea, my only recourse now is to leave bad feedback, accept the loss and throw the useless product away.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why doesn't eBay support a claim for refund when the seller refuses and closes a request

You do have to follow the Ebay Money Back Guarantee and open a return within 30 days of receiving your item.

As long as you start the return through Ebay within 30 days and choose an appropriate reason (parts missing/faulty/does not work etc.) the seller cannot close a return.  They can either accept the return or refund you immediately.

From your post, I assume you started the return through Ebay too late, after exchanging messages with the seller and hoping they would sort it out.

Don't throw the item away.  You can open a case through your payment provider - a payment dispute/chargeback.

Paypal allow 180 days to start a claim for faulty goods, most other payment providers give you 120 days.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

You do have to follow the Ebay Money Back Guarantee and open a return within 30 days of receiving your item.

As long as you start the return through Ebay within 30 days and choose an appropriate reason (parts missing/faulty/does not work etc.) the seller cannot close a return.  They can either accept the return or refund you immediately.

From your post, I assume you started the return through Ebay too late, after exchanging messages with the seller and hoping they would sort it out.

Don't throw the item away.  You can open a case through your payment provider - a payment dispute/chargeback.

Paypal allow 180 days to start a claim for faulty goods, most other payment providers give you 120 days.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Seller has delayed and obfuscated, making promises in order to delay the process

eBay's processes have precise time limits. It would help so much when asking questions to PLEASE say exactly when and how you paid. Your rights depend upon this.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Aah, unfortunately I had slipped (was tricked) outside of the 30 days, and apparetnyl aslo outside of the feedback timeline too. A useful reminder to be less patient, less forgiving and more aware of the sdays as they pass by. Thanks all for your comments and support!

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent