Where is the money that the buyer paid to cover postage?

When a buyer pays postage that money isnt given to me by ebay. And then I have to cover the postage myself. Where does the money that I've charged for postage go? 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

The buyer pays eBay, and eBay pays the seller less their selling fee.

My guess is that you have mistaken the deduction of eBay's selling fee for deduction of the postage - they are often both around the same amount. EBay does not deduct the postage.

To check, eBay's fee is 12.8% of the full selling price, plus 30p.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Don't forget the .42% (including VAT) Regulatory operating fee.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

plum993
Experienced Mentor

@taracsykes wrote:

When a buyer pays postage that money isnt given to me by ebay. And then I have to cover the postage myself. Where does the money that I've charged for postage go? 

The buyer pays for the item and the postage using the ebay checkout when they win/buy an item, the money is then paid into your chosen bank account.

If you use ebay postage labels then the money comes from either your bank account or pay pal depending on the postal service you use.

If you go to a postal service of your choice,either direct online or at your local post office then you use a card to pay or if the post office you pay cash for posting an item out.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent