Someone is using my home address as their business address

Despite contacting eBay last year, this person continues to sell items using our home address. He/she has even posted our address as their Business Seller information.  We have had numerous items returned to our home, which 'they' have sent out but with insufficient postage and Royal Mail have returned them to "sender".  EBay assured me last year they would deal with it, however this person has relisted under a different seller name and continues to trade fraudulently. We also believe what he is selling are fakes. I recently took to Twitter asking eBay to contact me directly. All they do is send me a generic link with a robot asking questions. Does anyone have any suggestions? I live in Scotland and Action Fraud UK suggest I contact Police Scotland. It was reported to the police last year and obviously nothing has been done. The fact our address is being given out to anyone who looks at their page is very worrying. EBay are surely violating the Data Protection Sct by allowing this to continue. 

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I would pay a solicitor to write eBay a letter.  That should make them take notice.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Every day I see international companies registered to each house in a whole street, it's bonkers how ridiculously easy it is for anybody to just type in somebody else's address and use it with impunity and, when reported, nobody takes any notice.

Post this question on the Consumer Action Group, they have some good legal people responding over there.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Thank you vyolla. Is the Consumer Action Group a separate entity to eBay?

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Totally unfair that I would be out of pocket in order for them to take any action. 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Do you have Citizens Advice Bureau or equivalent in Scotland?

Worth consulting them for advice - they used to be able to give you a free 30 minute appointment with a solicitor.

Or, do you have home insurance or union membership which gives you a free solicitor consult?

Ebay are unlikely to sort this out for you.  It is an issue and clearly a problem for you - to resolve it, you will probably have to be very pro-active.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Thank you. I will try Citizens Advice Bureau. I have contacted Consumer Action Group, on X as suggested by one of the mentors. BBC Watchdog follow them, so hopefully that will also help my case. 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

@laielf-d4yiuupn wrote:

Thank you vyolla. Is the Consumer Action Group a separate entity to eBay?

Yes, it is. Well worth posting there.

You need to join and then post your question for them.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent