Seller reneged

I won an item in auction at a good price. The listing noted shipping costs through ebay international to UK (my address). When I tried to pay, the seller stated they would not ship to UK and cancelled the order stating something wrong with my address. I speculate the seller is weasling out of the sale as they did not get the price they wanted. Is there anything I can do? (I wanted the item for a collection which is hard to come by)

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Seller reneged

You  may be correct that the seller did not receive the price they wanted , which is easily avoidable if only they had listed it starting at the lowest price they were happy to accept, it then could not sell for less.

This is bad selling , showing they do post to the UK  and the reason they are now saying ' Problem with Buyer's address is because this way,  they receive no defect and pay no seller fee.

No oe can force a seller to send a paid for item,  but eBay do not like disappointeed buyers,  so you can if you wish,  contact eBay Customer Services, they will place a damaging defect on the seller's account,  and charge them a seller fee, you are now also able to leave appropriate feedback.

Do not mention anything about refunds or eBay involvement,  something like.....  disappointed on winning an auction the seller would not send out my item...  will suffice.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On the left sidebar you can see Have us Call you or Chat with Our Automated Assistant.

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 .m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

The seller may simply have been concerned about being asked to post to the UK when your account shows you as registered in the U.A.E.

Although you can make a complaint about the seller, you can't make them go through with the sale so you will have to look for your item with another seller.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

When I tried to pay

This suggests that you were not able to pay? In this case,you must have been bidding on an item that was not listed for delivery to your country.

If so, you're lucky that your seller let you off without penalty by classing the probelmas "problem with your address". Most sellers would have opened an unpaid item case against you, ensuring that eBay would penalise you with a strike for not paying and block you from leaving any feedback.

I suspect the problem originates from you being registered in the UAE when you say your address is in the UK. Any block that sellers place on bidding is based on the country of registration.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

Thank you for the reply. I have items shipped from the US to either UAE or UK (and this is the first time I've ever had issue on a successful auction bid). The sales listing noted the shipment cost to UK and on which basis I bid. It is when I won and went to pay I was blocked ('problem with address' and wrote to the seller only to be told they do not ship outside the US. The listing clearly states postage to UK. 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

This is extremely helpful - thank you very much

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

You're very welcome.

@alacorne0 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Seller reneged

Out of interest, the seller has relisted as auction and shows no restriction on shipping to UK (again shows cost to ship to my UK address - looking at countries they'll ship covers most countries). Exactly the same as the auction I participated and won.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent