Posting large items

Hi I'm having difficulty finding out how to send an item I've just sold!

Its a golf club set with bag and stand so quite big and bulky.

I included that buyer pays postage and eBay estimated £5.88 but the buyer lives in Scotland and I'm in Kent so not sure that price is correct. Also how do I go about booking a collection and getting a postage label ? Does eBay arrange that once the buyer has paid for the item? 😳

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Posting large items

You are responsible for accurately estimating the postage cost, packing the item, and arranging a collection or taking it to the courier's collection point.  If you have not charged the buyer enough, you cannot ask them for more money.

You advertise postage with Yodel but I think the items you have sold will be too long and too heavy - they only accept items up to 10KG and have a length limit as well.

See here:

https://www.yodel.co.uk/send-a-parcel

You may be able to send a bag of golf clubs with Parcelforce as a large parcel but items of that size are, in my opinion, only suitable for collection by the buyer.

Don't trust Ebay suggestions for postage.

Have a look at your other items and do a bit of research before you sell them and end up not being able to send them.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Posting large items

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Does eBay arrange that once the buyer has paid for the item?

Ho, ho, ho! You should be so lucky. eBay doesn't arrage the delivery - that's entirely up to you as the seller.

You're committed now to deliver it for the price stated in the lisitng. If possible, try to use a parcelforce service. Couriers often charge a premium for delivery to Scotland - and Scottish buyers are famous for complaining when sellers try to pass it on!

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Posting large items

as @jckl1957  mentions, anything over a 1m-1.2m in length with any carrier is generally considered oversize, with the exception to parcelforce. Their standard terms if buying over the counter in a post office are parcel not exceeding 1.5m length and 3m length and girth combined, with a weight limit of 30Kg. Also there is a 48L service for large parcels with items not exceeding 2.5m length and 4m length and girth combined, weight limit remains the same. However if using the large parcel service there is quite a jump in price. Eg a 10kg parcel at standard is about £15, for a large parcel its apx £55.00.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent