Payment query

Hi. Due to an inexplicable oversight and for the first time in 20 years I have posted an item I  sold before receiving payment. The purchaser has not paid after 2 days despite me sending 2 invoices. What is the eBay proceedure for this situation if the buyer does not pay ? Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Payment query

papso22
Experienced Mentor

There are no procedures for seller errors so eBay won't help you get paid.

All they will do is credit the selling fees if you cancel using the buyer didn't pay option. 

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Many thanks for the speedy and helpful reply - thought that might be the case !!

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Depending on the value of the item,and when you posted,hopefully the buyer is honest and will wish to repay you once they have received the item,as some will get in touch with a seller.

If not then,you could send a pay pal invoice for payment,or mention the "Court claim process" to them 

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Thanks for the speedy reply.  Let's hope that is the case !! The item (value £37) was posted 2 days ago and I've sent 2 invoices since then.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Best not invoice again,you don't want to aggravate the situation.

The item may not of arrived yet and most are due on Business days so could arrive with the buyer early next week.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Buyers do have 4 days to pay, and some only pay when they get the Ebay reminder, so still possible buyer will pay. Once they receive it, there will be no incentive to pay.

It is not necessary to send invoices, ebay send automatically and a reminder on day three. On day five you can cancel for non payment to avoid paying the selling fee.  If you have marked as dispatched, buyer could be a bit wary in paying and wondering what is going on.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Ouch. This isn't an unusual situation though, lots of sellers have accidentally done this so you're not alone here with making this mistake.

Hopefully your buyer will pay, I wouldn't keep chasing them though.

If they don't, there isn't anything further you can do except to cancel the order as unpaid (I'd do this after a couple of weeks when it will be clear that they're not going to pay) and get a credit for your eBay final value fees.

There isn't a legal route that I can see that you can take here as you willingly sent them the item.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Thanks for all the replies. Will not "chase" further. Not yet marked as dispatched. This is the first time ever in numerous sales that a buyer has not paid me immediately or "at worse" within 24 hours !

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

All's well that ends well - buyer paid last night after I sent a "chasing" message !

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

Excellent news!

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Payment query

I hope you remembered to mark as dispatched within the time allowed, otherwise you will get a late dispatch on your record.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent