Is eBay full of bogus buyers now

This is the second time, I've made a sale. The first was a 0 feedback buyer and now a buyer with 7 feedback and items on sale. 

How can eBay force these users to pay? 

I can't seem to get eBay help and I'm now frustrated and may ditch eBay for good.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Phones can atract scammers and non payers.

Look to report non payment to ebay after 4 days by using the cancel option , and then they will receive a none payment strike on there account while you will get a final value fee credit.

Look to block non payers by placing them on your blocked bidder list,and then set your seller preferences,see this link,https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerBlock?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?i...

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Its always going to be a bit of an issue, but generally buyers are very good. If a buyer doesn't pay within 4 days then on day 5 you must cancel the sale with the reason of buyer didn't pay. This ensures that their account gets a defect on it more than a couple in a year limits their ability to buy anything at all.

Also goto your buyer requirements, link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements and change your settings, I have attached a picture of ours to give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 07.56.15.png

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Scammers are slways looking for sellers showing signs of inexperience with selling.

Do you really think that ECONOMY delivery by Evri is suitable for an expensive item. If lost or damaged, I doubt that even if you could claim on Evri, they would pay very much, but you would still have to refund buyer in full.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

The phone ended on the evening of 11th so the buyer still has time to pay as they get four whole days.

Ebay can't step in and do anything while the buyer is still within the time allowed to pay.

If they end up not paying, then you should be able to cancel tomorrow using 'buyer did not pay'.  The buyer gets an unpaid item strike, this lasts a year.  All sellers can automatically exclude bidders who have two or more strikes.  Ebay give you, the seller, the tools to deal with people who don't pay.  It is up to you to use them.

Managing unpaid orders

• Sellers can cancel an order if the buyer hasn't paid after 4 calendar days and up to 30 days after the order is placed. Learn more in our Order cancellation policy

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Thank you all. Another time waster... Let's see how long eBay will do something about it.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Ebay already do something.  They have put this into the hands of sellers.

After 5 days you can cancel using 'buyer did not pay'.

They get a non-payment strike which lasts a year. You can set up your account to ban all bidders with 2 or more strikes.

You can set up your account to automatically cancel unpaid items after 4 days.

You have the power. use it.

Check the post from @tommystrezures for the steps to take.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent