Incorrect car part, seller refusing to help.

Hi Folks. Looking for help/advice. I have purchased a car part and it is not correct. Before purchase I initially contacted the seller with my vehicle information and the seller confirmed that the part was correct for my vehicle. I ordered it and once received I physically offered it up to the original part and it looked exactly the same. With this in mind I proceeded to arrange for the part to be painted to match the same parts already fitted to my vehicle. 

I then fitted the part to discover there is a small difference (difficult to see until fitted) which will not allow for correct fitment of the part. 

I have contacted the seller along with detailed photos and measurements and he is insisting that the part he supplied is correct, even though the photos show an obvious difference. He is also stating because it is now painted there is nothing he is willing to do, even though I have said I did everything I could to check this part was correct before painting took place. (Even confirming with the seller) Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

In short, you and your seller both have rights.

You have the right to return this for a refund if it is not as described. Your seller has the right to refuse - or at least to appeal - a refund claim because it is not returned in the condition supplied.

Basically, you can only open a money back guarantee case and let eBay decide it. If it's a private seller ,my guess is that you will receive a full refund. If it's a business seller, eBay can reduce the amount the seller has to refund because of the condition in which it was returned.

Good luck -  and to help us learn how eBay handles cases like this do please update this thread with the outcome!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Buyers are supposed to return items in the same condition as sent out,and clearly this is no longer the case for your item,so if returned the seller could refund upto 50% of the cost of the item.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041

Many car parts sold on eay are after market item, so will never fit as well as genuine parts would!

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

In short, you and your seller both have rights.

You have the right to return this for a refund if it is not as described. Your seller has the right to refuse - or at least to appeal - a refund claim because it is not returned in the condition supplied.

Basically, you can only open a money back guarantee case and let eBay decide it. If it's a private seller ,my guess is that you will receive a full refund. If it's a business seller, eBay can reduce the amount the seller has to refund because of the condition in which it was returned.

Good luck -  and to help us learn how eBay handles cases like this do please update this thread with the outcome!

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent