I'm selling a guitar and had a suspicious enquiry.

I person with only 1 feedback has sent a message wanting to buy my guitar at £200 above asking price but claims he is severely disabled and will send a courier to collect.  I have the guitar marked as collection only.  I smell a scam.  So should i ignore completely or respond negatively.  

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

It is up to you but if you allow your buyer to send a courier they will find themselves unable to access the ebay MBG if they subsequently find a fault with the guitar. Obviosly this is good news for you as you are virtually protected against any false claims.

If you do decide to stick to collection in person, cancel the sale with "problem with buyer's address" to get your selling fees back, and always try to accept cash only, or bank transfer. Again this will proect you against any false claims from your buyer.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks guinevere.  I'm going to tell him this is uncceptable but if he is within a reasonable distance i'd consider delivery but only if .  I think it's a scam but if he responds positively I'll be less suspicious and listen to what he offers.  Much appreciated.   

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

You should be aware that cash on collection (or online bank transfer) is the only payment method that cannot be reversed.

I would have added an extra line to your listing description saying "Cash on collection please, that way you can examine and test play the guitar to make sure that you're happy with your purchase before paying".

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you Vyolla.  I'll do that now.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Would you believe I couldn't quite revise as I wanted because it had 11 hours and 59 minutes left to run.  If I'd been one minute quicker.  However it did let me add your suggested line to the description so it should be crystal clear to any prospective buyer now.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

That's fine though, it stands out a little more from the description.

That's a beautiful guitar though, so do be careful here. 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

As already allowing collection by a courier means at least according to ebay rules thst the buyer has no buyer protection.

However if a buyer opened a not as described case,or even not received case, you would probably have to point out to ebay their own rules to prevent having to refund.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

i'd consider delivery

Don't. With no online packing, you would have no seller protection if the buyer paid through eBay checkout and you had no proof of delivery or collection. eBay is a jungle, especially for sellers.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks red.  I've taken the easy option.  Ended the auction.  I'll try again next reduced fee offer I get and make it clear it's cash on collection only.  Selling is a jungle as you say.  

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks John.  I've become cautious of scammers so decided to end the auction and maybe re-list at some point with the clear instructiob cash on collection only.  

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks again vyolla.  I've taken the easy and cautious route and ended the auction.  I'll list again sometime with clear instruction cash on collection only.  Better safe than sorry.  Advice much appreciated. 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent