I live on a Scottish island with a UK postcode but I am being asked to pay 20% VAT

I live on a Scottish island with a UK postcode but I am being asked to pay 20% VAT on a pre owned item from another UK seller, is this a mistake?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

I live on a Scottish island with a UK postcode but I am being asked to pay 20% VAT

Couple of things, are you sure the sellers account is registered in the UK? It may be that they have a warehouse in the UK but the seller is infact based overseas, a very popular ploy by the Chinese. Click on the sellers about me, it will tell you where the account is registered.

Secondly there has been and it appears it could be rearing its ugly head again a glitch in the past where vat was added pre payment, however once at the payment page the buyer was not charged VAT. 

If you still having problems after come back and we will see what can be done. However it would be useful if you could let us know if one of the above worked, purely because if its the latter of the two suggestions, then we need to let ebay know again so that they can sort the matter out.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

plum993
Experienced Mentor

If Vat at 20% is being shown on your order and at checkout then yes it's correct.

If it doesn't show, then as said,it is likey a site issue.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent