GSP - Cancelled delivery as restricted item

I sold an item from the UK to be sent to the USA. It was sent to the GSP a week ago and today i get an automated email saying it is a restricted item (1930's Uranium glass) and will be destroyed. 

I had no idea it was restricted, surely ebay knew this when it was sold to a USA buyer and cancel the sale rather than i send it and it gets destroyed (or pocketed) at their packing facility.

They said i get a refund as does the buyer but do they keep the ebay sale fee, because i don't think they should.

There is no right to appeal this and they refuse to return the item to me. Is this right ?

I experience more problems with Ebay than ever and it has grown to be a faceless giant. I will use another outlet in future.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

If you get your money for the item then you have sold it and pay the fees.

It is just as if the member in the US had received the goods.

You are not losing any money.

What happens with payments for ‘undeliverable’ items?
Ebay policy

If a Global Shipping Programme item that has been purchased by a buyer and accepted by the UK Shipping Centre is not eligible for the programme or can’t be sent to the buyer, you may keep the buyer’s payment. eBay will refund the buyer. You don’t have to reimburse the Global Shipping Programme fees for this refund. 

Ebay does not see the items and how could they know it was restricted before anyone had seen it. 

We are just ordinary members trying to help.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

If you get your money for the item then you have sold it and pay the fees.

It is just as if the member in the US had received the goods.

You are not losing any money.

What happens with payments for ‘undeliverable’ items?
Ebay policy

If a Global Shipping Programme item that has been purchased by a buyer and accepted by the UK Shipping Centre is not eligible for the programme or can’t be sent to the buyer, you may keep the buyer’s payment. eBay will refund the buyer. You don’t have to reimburse the Global Shipping Programme fees for this refund. 

Ebay does not see the items and how could they know it was restricted before anyone had seen it. 

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

surely ebay knew this when it was sold to a USA buyer

EBay isn't the seller, you are. It's your responsibility to check that items are not prohibited for importation into countries you deliver to.

You're lucky that you used eBay's global shipping. If you had posted it yourslelf, you would have had to reund the buyer the full price of the destroyed item, including postage.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent