Fraud that eBay can protect us from, PLEASE SHARE

I recently sold an item and as with all my private sales I listed I dont accept returns unless there is obvious reason for request.  In this case the buy had the item for 2 weeks before opening a return dispute becasue item not as described.   They provided no further contact about what was not as described in the case.  The case remained open for a short while and before case run preriod was run the buyer opened a dispute with their bank regarding the transaction.  Obviously I challanged this case after discussing with eBay.   I raised my specific concerns about how the process would work, eBay assured me that if the buyer won the case I would still recieve my item back.   Now without surprise the bank found in favour of their customer.   Ebay now have closed the case completely!  I dont get my item back and have no process to appeal the deicsion as its 'out of eBay's hand' according to them.   Has anyone come across this issue?  As Ive said to eBay, what is the point in me selling anything through them if they are so open to this and arent interested in protecting their paying customers.   Might as well use free sites like market place or vinted etc! 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

I'm afraid this just illustrates the minefield that eBay sellers face today.

Buyers can open a case under eBay's 30 day money back guarantee, or under PayPal's 180 day buyer protection policy, or file a credit or debit card chargeback fo up to I think around 8 months.

If they don't win the first dispute, they can try all three in sequence - except that no two claims may be open at the same time, which is why eBay closed your case when the buyer filed a chargeback.

It's even worse than this actually, because since eBay introduced managed payments buyers pay eBay, not the seller. This means that any PayPal dispute of bank chargeback is now filed against eBay, not the seller. The seller has to reimburse eBay for any refund made, but is not even a party to the dispute. The result is that sellers have now lost their right of appeal, if necessary, to the financial ombudsman. They just have to accept eBay's decision - and pay eBay's admin fees for making the refund! And there's no certainty that the buyer will even have to return the item.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

No returns are for change of mind items.

If the buyer opened a not as described dispute then you have to send a pre paid label for the return of the item and refund once you have it back.

If you did not do that then the case would always close in favour of the buyer and you would not get your item back.

It is hardly worth even trying to challenge a Not as described dispute with ebay and they almost always go with the buyer.

Once the bank was involved then it was out of ebays hands.

You could contact them and ask them to return it and if they are willing you send a label but there is no way now you can force the return especially as they eventually sorted it through their card provider.

If the item was not as described then it is not fraud if the buyer wants their money back

You have to deal with it with the policy on ebay and you did not do that.

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent