False prosecution by Ebay

On Saturday 20/04/2024 I received a demand from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd as per instructions from EBAY COMMERCE UK LTD for an 'overdue account of £520.29'.This came as a complete surprise to me as I have only ever used Ebay to buy the ocassional DVD;the last being for £6 - all paid for up-front by credit card.

I then contacted MDR Ltd to dispute the demand and was advised to contact Ebay, which I then did on the same day; through member@ebay.co.uk.I

And did the same again on 22/04/2023, also informing MDR Ltd.

As yet I have not had the curtesy of a reply,but what puzzles me is that I have never held a 'credit account' of any sort with Ebay,nor have I ever received any correspondence regarding any overdue account.Only the debt recovery letter from MDR Ltd ? Has anyone else fell victim to such an incident ???

Finally,if anyone of Ebay's agents happens to read this,perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me know what is going on,and who is responsible for such incompetence. signed

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

This is a member to member forum - nobody here can help with your question or access your account.

The email you sent will not have reached anybody at Ebay.

You need to speak to Ebay Customer services and find out if this is a genuine demand - that company is not the one Ebay generally use for debt recovery so it is probably fake and a 'phishing' attempt rather than a company genuinely acting on behalf of Ebay.

Tomorrow morning, when you will be speaking to Customer Services in Dublin, use the link below to get a call back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Was this received via letter or email?

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you for your response.The demand letter I received is genuine.I confirmed this by ringing the Debt Recovery Company and checking on the internet.Unfortunately they were not much help and just referred me to Ebay services.They too don't seem to be of much help as no one has responded; despite several attemps since Saturday 20/04/24.Any recommendations you may have will be most welcome and,thank you.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Ebay use debt recovery companies to recover debts from sellers for selling, if you have never sold you can't have such a debt.

Ebay don't usually communicate by email, you need to get them to call you back.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Best to try call back 1st thing in the morning, should get Dublin, easier to speak to.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

EBAY COMMERCE UK LTD is the company set up be eBay.co.uk to handle buyers' payments. When you pay eBay, whether by PayPal or credit card etc., your payment does not go direct to the seller, it is paid through EBAY COMMERCE UK.

The most likely way in which a buyer might be indebted to EBAY COMMERCE UK is if their payment was somehow reversed (e.g. for having paid using fraudulent funds) after eBay had already passed payment to the seller.

If you have checked your transaction record carefully and are certain that no transaction on your account could give rise to this my guess would be that eBay has mixed you up with an account having a similar name, and given their debt collectors your particulars in error. This has happened before.

My advice would be to write to Moorcroft Debt Recovery, by recorded delivery, and reiterate that you have no knowledge of the alleged debt and have never had any transaction on eBay that might account for it. Point out that you have acted on their advice to contact eBay, but that eBay has so far failed to reply.

Suggest to them that it is their interests to contact eBay themselves to establish why they allege that you have any debt to them. It will prove costly to both eBay and Moorcroft if they attempt any action to recover this alleged but non-existent debt. You could even point out that this would not be the first time that eBay had given debt collectors the wrong member's details.

You have nothing to worry about as neither eBay nor Moorcroft can demand payment of a non-existent debt. It may be you who ends up claiming your costs from them if they try.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

My thanks to everyone for their response.

I have already provided Moorcroft and Ebay with all the necessary details so that each is aware of the others level of data updates.

Yesterday, having spoken to two agents of Ebay, both of whom seemed puzzled by the situation, I also provided a digital copy of Moorcroft's demand letter.I was then advised they were 'looking into it'?

I also provided Moorcroft with a transcript of the two conversations I had with Ebay;  again,suggesting they show some diligence in getting their facts straight before issuing threatening letters.

Still no resonse from either Moorcroft, nor Ebay.

It would appear I'm not the only one to experience the incompetence of Moorcroft judging from the 'reviews'online and available to anyone who cares to look.

Again,my thanks to everyone and in particular to red_magpie.Any further advice will be gratefully received.Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Thank you for the philosophical advice !

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

I have spoken to two of their agents.Not much to tell.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Many thanks for the advice.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent