Argos Collect wouldn't give me my parcel as the barcode had expired

Hi 🙂

I had a text message last friday to say my parcel is ready to collect at my local Argos store.

So I went to collect it the following Thursday. Apparently we have 7 days to collect the item and then it gets sent back to the seller.

Well I arrived at Argos and had my barcode read and my parcel was brought to me. They then said I can't have it because if the 7 day rule. Well I said I only had the notification last Friday.

They said sorry but it is going to be sent back even though there was no sellers return address on the parcel.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing to be honest as I was 2 feet away from a parcel that I have paid for and they couldn't just give it to me. I mean what is the law in this regard. Is it legally mine? Do they have the right to sent it back into the abyss where quite likely someone is going to keep it for themselves?

There is no common sense at all here.

Any help from anyone who has experienced this?

Worlds gone bonkers!!

Daz

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

If you use Click and Collect, it is up to you to understand the rules. Collect within 7 days, I would have thought that commonsense would have prevailed, if it was day 8, and you and parcel were there, but they stuck to the rules. It might have sorked if you had asked to speak to the Manager.

You are now going to have a problem, as you cannot succeed with a Not Received case, as all that  was required was delivery to Argos not you. If as you say there was no return address then parcel will not get back to seller.

I am afraid that C & C although in theory a good idea, it would be a lot safer for buyer to have delivered to a neighbour or friend, than end up with nothing and no refund.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi 🙂

Well according to my text from ebay I was on day 6 when I went to collect the parcel. I think the bank holiday weekend though threw things out of sorts a bit as Argos said the code had expired.

I am interested in the law really in regards who owns the parcel after a contract between myself and the seller has been finalised.

I have no idea where my parcel has been sent too.

I think that the 7 day rule is in effect if no one comes to collect it so it's sent back.

For the parcel to be there and it is collected, it seems common sense to give over the parcel.

Thanks anyway

Daz

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

7 day limit is there as shops don't have room to store items for a long time.

If seller put return address on parcel, it may be returned to them or donated to charity. 

Does seem unfair if argos still had item but refused to give it to you.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

We have seen how rigid their systems are over the last few days, perhaps the worker simply couldn't check the item out as the code had expired and didn't know what to do, or maybe it had already moved on to return on the system and that couldn't be overidden even though they still had it.

Or just a jobs worth.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks for the replies.

The parcel was in the system to be returned but I find it crazy that they can't change that to being collected.

They knew it didn't have a return address so god only knows where it will go. The seller has contacted the post office from where she sent it to look out for it, but if it goes back to Argos then who knows if I will get another code sent.

What the post office did say was that as it was a signed delivery only I could sign for it when collected. Someone from Argos signed for it in my name.

One of the Argos staff said to me that I will get a refund, but that might not be the case as ebay hasn't got back to me.

At the end of the day it just seems like common sense and a little humanity is lacking when it comes to entering things on a computer and then saying there is nothing that they can do.

It's just ridiculous.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

PO staff are wrong, it was addressed to argos store, not you. 

Seller was at fault for not putting return address on, at least they might have got it back, so you could buy again.

TBH.  I never touch click and collect items, too many pitfalls.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Ebay closed the case and didn't respond to any of my questions and no refund. I thought that was pretty discraceful to be honest, but I had an email saying that my parcel has gone round the world twice and landed back at the Argos store. I have a new barcode assigned to it, so maybe there is a god afterall lol 🙂

I think this needs tightening up for sure in regards to knowing who is the legal owner of the parcel. So if a post office worker or an argos employee refuses to hand over what is rightfully yours then they are breaking the law.

Surely they are just handlers and do not have any authority when it comes to with holding what is legally yours unless postage money is outstanding or something like that.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

You say:

"Ebay closed the case and didn't respond to any of my questions and no refund. I thought that was pretty discraceful to be honest, but I had an email saying that my parcel has gone round the world twice and landed back at the Argos store. I have a new barcode assigned to it, so maybe there is a god afterall lol" 

Can I ask who the email was from to say the item was back at the argos store? and who gave you a new barcode? as it may help us and others in similair situations,as this doesn't seem the norm!!

Thank you.

@god-like1 

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Certainly not normal!

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi 🙂

It was another ebay generated email to say my item is ready to collect. It is a different code from the last one that suposedly expired. I suppose that because there was only address on the parcel which was in my name at the Argos Store it was just returned back there.

No one seemed to know what would happen to the parcel once it was booked in by Argos to be picked up from their depot. The Argos staff didn't really seem to know much about anything, one even said that I should get a refund. Well that's certainly not the case.

I don't really know the score regarding these collect points that ebay are associated too. I dare say that these pick up points have something to gain from doing it.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

These are the rules we are told,  re Click and Collect items.

Buyers once they are notified that their item is in store,   have 7days to pick up their item.

If they do not , the store is entitled to dispose of the item as they wish.

This inlcudes,   sending the ite back to the seller,  in my humble oprinion I cannot see this happening,  or give it to charity , or just destory it.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent