A buyer has deliberately damaged the item for refund gggrrrr!

Any advice what to or where I stand. My instinct was telling me the buyer was dodgy when they wanted the postage reducing and were looking forward to receiving the item as long as it was how I described. Why did I send it!!!!
Now they are saying the coat I sold them is damaged. They have deliberately slit through to the filling on the inside of 1 arm (who takes a photo inside a coat arm so can’t disprove it) as well as unpicking some of the quilting on the coat. Other stuff they have done too but I would be writing an essay! I know they have done this to get a full refund as I stated no returns.
I’ve reported the buyer to eBay as a scammer but looks like it will go in their favour. Customer service totally useless ☹️
Message 1 of 38
See Most Recent
37 REPLIES 37

I am not a business seller so why should it cost me more money to pay for the return postage. I ended up paying more money out than what I got in and ended up with a damaged item as a result! All because the coat didn't fit the customer. That doesn't make sense and defies the purpose of selling personal items

Message 21 of 38
See Most Recent

Yes...if you report the buyer there is consequence for the buyer....but the sellers do not do that...

eBay can block from buying or block the buyer account permanently.....just sellers must report hese buyers.

Message 22 of 38
See Most Recent

Can you leave me alone. Iam not a buyer. I cant unsubscribe as it says I need a new e mail address. Am also terminal bedridden and had enough of your e mail harrasment. Could you stop e mailing disabled people
Everything is turned off. I shouldnt get these harrassing nasty buyer e mails complaining about buyers.stop sending e mails. I did not allow that. Stop harrassing bedridden people.

Get Outlook for Android
Message 23 of 38
See Most Recent

i always take pictures of every item as general rule of thumb from a camera that's dated & timed of item before its packaged take as many as you can of item then packed then in the box and label & before its picked up or at courier location this is evidence 

Message 24 of 38
See Most Recent

I feel for you sellers dont get protection however buyer will alway get a refund, it can be really difficult 

Message 25 of 38
See Most Recent

yes it can be  difficult ,eBay need to do more 

proving them damaged it on purpose its very hard thing to prove when its a online business but I always or would suggest taking pics of your item before you send it inc date and timed 

Message 26 of 38
See Most Recent

Hi Patro_Elli,

I know it is a pain, but I ensure I take pictures of all items before they are packaged.

Unfortunately, eBay is reliant on the trust of the buyer and the seller.  If this is not adhered to, the buyer will win cases every time.  It is a fundamental floor of any trading platform, eBay included.

John

Message 27 of 38
See Most Recent

I have had a degree of success with eBay live chat.  It gets through to a human being and they add notes to the account. Probably worth a try

Message 28 of 38
See Most Recent

Same thing just happened to me I made a doll that was soft bodied you can see where she's ripped it open I've made over 50 of these little dolls and never a complaint I would never of sent a item in that condition it's really upsetting and a very spiteful thing todo 

ebay it's time you protected your sellers without us you wouldn't have a site to run 

Message 29 of 38
See Most Recent

I've had this kind of thing happen to me twice in the last couple of months, both items were brand new pairs of shoes.  The one pair had only ever been tried on and then stored in the box in the plastic covers before being sold really cheap to the buyer, who then opened a case stating that they were all scuffed up on the toes.  I had photos of the shoes from all angles on the listing and eBay still sided with the buyer and to save on hassle I just refunded them the original cost.  More recently, I have received a returns case from someone who has had the shoes for over a month now, they were leather uppers inside and out and closed with the touch tape stuff .  The photos sent through were poorly focussed, so requested more photos and these show still out of focus that the inside leather lining and the closure tape on the strap has apparently 'ripped' off in a completely straight line and that the glue holding it down had failed. Strange that the stitching was all still in place and the insides of the shoes were looking pretty worn and dirty. I am at a loss for what to do, its about the same price as the previous one that I will lose, so around £25 down for the two pairs, plus fees and time and without the goods too!   I think I am going to vote with my feet and only list on VINTED from now on - the buyer is responsible for the buyers protection and VINTED pay the buyer out, not the seller.  Admittedly there are some charmers on there too with insulting offers on things, but no cost to me to list and their protection for sellers is much better.

Message 30 of 38
See Most Recent

Had exactly the same even though I have a video of the item working when it left. I lost £65 plus had to pay their return postage 😡

Message 31 of 38
See Most Recent

"Why would a buyer want to destory an item for no reason? "

Because they changed their mind about buying it and want money back, but the seller isn't offering returns. Or they left scissors lying around and a child decided to play tailor.

Or they want free fabric and wadding, expecting the seller to refund without asking for the item back if it's clearly damaged.

Alternatively, the coat may have been poor quality and ripped as they were putting it on.

If the buyer damaged the item, Ebay shouldn't require you to pay. It doesn't matter what the buyer was thinking.

Message 32 of 38
See Most Recent

Video's ,photo's etc don't mean anything to Ebay as they don't prove the item(s) shown are the same items that were posted.

Sadly ,some sellers do this so Ebay always side with the buyer.

Message 33 of 38
See Most Recent

Pictures prove only that you took a pic of something.

It does not prove the photo shows the ACTUAL item that was sent hence Ebay side with the buyer.

Message 34 of 38
See Most Recent

ingridbass50

If you're still getting these emails and can't unsubscribe, try clicking "Do Not Email Me" in your profile settings. Use the below link or click on the circle at the top right.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile#

Message 35 of 38
See Most Recent

have a similar problem, klijet returned the damaged tank, I reported it, added photos and appealed that the item arrived damaged and ebay refunded the full amount to the buyer, although klijet bought a return lebel and I don't even have the opportunity to apply for shipment insurance, I will try to claim my rights in court against ebay.
Message 36 of 38
See Most Recent

Ebay could not care lessabout buyers 

they are really quick to take their 12.9%
fees and always always side with the buyer , then tell the seller you can appeal after the refund has been made 

if you do appeal it is rejected  25 years ive been on ebay and im leaving them 

john 

Message 37 of 38
See Most Recent

-Doing everything in buyer's favour, nothing for the seller and we don't care if you don't accept returns - it should be ebay's motto. Buyer maureen-b-2012 is disrespectful individual with abusive language and false statements returning items after breaking it. He's lucky to write to me abusive message on low place like ebay because elsewhere I wouldn't just report and block him. I knew ebay will do everything for the buyer so I've cut that conversation without reply after abusive and false message, swallowed my pride and just report that individual. I still have to refund that guy because ebay will give him money back anyway and take it from me. I'm gradually leaving ebay for its ridiculous injustice for the sellers.

Message 38 of 38
See Most Recent