**Welcome to the eBay Ireland Board**

Hello All,

Welcome to our new eBay Ireland Board!

We would love to hear your suggestions for some gaelic messages to have at the top of this board.

Look forward to speaking with you soon.

Best wishes,

Alexia 🙂
Message 1 of 80
See Most Recent
79 REPLIES 79

steam-agc
Failte go EbayBord na h'Eirean ?

A cross community leprachaun wearing green/white gold/red/white/blue leprachaun holding a a full bacon and egg Ulster soda in one hand and a croc o'gold at his feet.

A bit bland,but its a start!
Message 2 of 80
See Most Recent

steam-agc
Problem is,Gaelic will alienate people on the island of Ireland who dont see themselves as Gaelic-type Irish.

Gaelic is seen as a nationalist/foreign language in most places in Northern Ireland.Its one of the symbols that identify people as one side or another.

Like wearing Rangers or Celtic football Union Jacks/Irish Tricolour flags to denote territories.

Lets try and steer clear of all symbols that can antagonise.

Alexiab- Use Gaelic and you lose a million potential Northern Ireland users.

No need for twee pseudo-Irishness anyway.Everyone speaks English.
Message 3 of 80
See Most Recent

I agree with you steam-agc ! Lets stick to english! When was this board opened? I is in shock!
Message 4 of 80
See Most Recent

prionsias00
Fair play Alexcia,nice to see an Irish board.CEAD MILE FAILTE which means 1000 welcomes.
Message 5 of 80
See Most Recent

steam-agc
No it doesnt, cead mille failte means a 100000 welcomes.(There should be a ` over the letter a in failte,but dont know how to get a ` over it)
Message 6 of 80
See Most Recent

Hàlo steam-agc. Fàilte.

I always believed in the Irish Gaelic it was "Fáilte" with the accent sloping to the right? Whereas in my country’s native tongue, the Scots Gaelic, it was "Fàilte" (sloping to the left). I'm not a speaker of the Gaelic and I'm probably wrong, but I'm never too old to learn.

Only goes to prove that we Gaels can be an awkward bunch? :^O

If you want to get the accent over the letter, copy the word, wherever you find it, and drop it into a separate file. Then delete what you don't want - keep the à and the á. Same goes for any letter in any language.

Regards.
Message 7 of 80
See Most Recent

steam-agc
expo-I can only see a ` on my keyboard,may someone else can tell us the correct slopeyness of the accent. I think Scots Gallic and Irish only truly diverged in the 17th century. The Scots originally came from Ulster in the 6th century (Dalriada was the name of the then kingdom, now the modern Ulster and Strathclyde.Im sure it annoyed the Picts, but hey,were all chums now!
Message 8 of 80
See Most Recent

sarsfield15
The accent is called a fada (the Irish word for long)

Try using a etc. Should work á,,í,ó,ú

Hmmm, for some reason it doesn't work for e. Not on my keyboard anyway.
Message 9 of 80
See Most Recent

mattsiobewson
Are Irish decendents living in Britain allowed? Can't speak Gaelic mind you.
Message 10 of 80
See Most Recent

Are French expatriates who have lived in the UK (and got a fairly respectable feedback profile in the meantime) and now moved to the Emerald Isle allowed as well? I can't speak Gaelic either, but my grand-mother could, bless her (she was from French Brittany)...
Message 11 of 80
See Most Recent

Sarsfield15 - are you trying to type 'é'?

To do this with a UK/US keyboard, press the left-side 'Alt' key and -while you keep it pressed- type '386' on your numeric pad, then release the 'Alt' key - and voilà! (BTW, 'à' = Alt with '389', etc, etc.).
Message 12 of 80
See Most Recent

sarsfield15
ambro, indeed I was. Looking at my post, it isn't very clear what I was saying.

I was saying you can use the Alt Gr key with a, i, o and u but apparently not with e??

However it works for capitals! Shift, Alt GR and e all together give É
Message 13 of 80
See Most Recent

Hi, is mise Shiningheirloom. Is Éireannach mé. Tá áthas orm céad míle Fáilte a chur róimh do muintear Ebay agus gach uile dhuine eile sa domhain. Tá mé ag caint libhse ón Eoraip, an Mheircea, an Áis, an Afric is an Astráil go léir. Ba mhaith liom bheith ag dhíol libh agus ag ceannach rudaí áraithe agus éagsúla oraibh ar feadh i bhfaid. Is dóigh liom go mbeidh ár website Ebay specíalta fhéin againn in Éireann i gcionn tamaill bheag. Tá alán rudaí spéisúil le thabgairt go dtí an mhaireadha anseo againn in Éireann agus is míann liom sin a dhéanamh. Labhairaidh mé libh arís. Slán go fóill. Shiningheirloom.
Message 14 of 80
See Most Recent

steam-agc
Shining-Thats easy for you to say!
Message 15 of 80
See Most Recent

I failed my Irish in the leaving Cert BIG time
Message 16 of 80
See Most Recent

Boastin agin, mad irish gilr
Message 17 of 80
See Most Recent

gidday39
Hi Alexia. Saol fada duit agus do gach duine eile freisin!

It's good to see an Irish board and I hope some of the friends I have made on RT and other Ebay forums around the world will come here for a visit, chat and 'a small drop'!!

Message 18 of 80
See Most Recent

bingus666
It's funny, I see & hear people talking Gaelic on the street here in Galway all the time, so "nobody speaks Irish anymore" is ummm...... not true. maybe where you are at lad (steam-agc) but not in the wescht! personally, I'm proud of our language & would like to re-learn it. It's part of our history & yes we do speak english but the majority of us also speak Irish... ]:)
Message 19 of 80
See Most Recent

drimoleague
"""Lets try and steer clear of all symbols that can antagonize."""

Why on earth should a native language antagonize anyone?
If this is ebay Ireland then the national language of the country should not just be welcome but encouraged. The million people in the north that you are sure would be alienated would surly consider themselves british and therefore hang out on the british boards, no?
Message 20 of 80
See Most Recent