please help save our robins

Robins have been a part of the British landscape for centuries. They may not be the rarest or most impressive of birds, but they are vital to the ecosystem -- and they're consistently voted the nation's "favourite garden bird." But Natural England, an advisory group to the government, recently recommended that citizens be allowed to kill robins, destroy their nests and take their eggs.
http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Aitzh/zOVx/ci9iI

not only robins but all british birds

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Signed 🙂
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Signed and shared..

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

I think people need to get their facts right.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/about_us/news/2014/240514.aspx

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I think it's a case of people coming up with half facts.  As  it happens I couldn't download where my address as it seems it's only for those in the US of A.  Now I've read the letter a few more times it's not quite so dramatic Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Signed,,,,,, this is a very good cause and we dont want to lose our lovely little Robins. They have always made me happy and i always have memories of watchin them in my house i grew up in as a child. They used to be in our garden loads in winter and now you see them whatever time of year.heart

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

signed.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Statement from Natural England from CD's link:

Please read it before signing... because you'll see there's no need to sign a petition...

Natural England refutes Guardian claims about General Licence consultation

24 May 2014

In recent days the Guardian has published articles indicating that Natural England's general licence consultation is being driven by a wish to promote the interests of housebuilders and developers. We refute this claim entirely and have submitted the following letter to the Guardian by way of response.

Sir

In two articles this week, the Guardian has pointed to misleading claims concerning Natural England's consultation on the operation of licences for a variety of protected bird species. Birds such as robins and starlings are protected by law, but occasionally nesting birds cause public health or safety problems: for example, nests in food preparation facilities, hospital ventilation shafts and railway signaling equipment have been problems in the past, and the licencing system has enabled these cases to be dealt with legally.‬ 

There has been a suggestion that our consultation is deliberately designed to promote the interests of the development and housebuilding sectors, enabling them to sidestep species protection legislation and build on brownfield sites. This is groundless and a wilful misrepresentation: the very narrow set of health and safety circumstances where disturbance would be legal are unchanged, and our proposals give no wider permission to the development or any other sector to disturb nests and eggs than existed previously.‬ 

Rob Cooke, Director, Natural England‬

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent