ok ok so what is a baby shower

Tomorrow I am going to a baby shower with my friend whose daughter in law is having a baby in a couple of weeks.. what happens at these things is it another yankie import?
Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

I've never been to one but as far as I know, yes it is of course an American import.  You go along and have a drink and nibbles but most importantly, you take a present for the baby. (and the mum to be perhaps) and then when the baby is born you feel compelled to buy another one!!!  Woman LOL

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Mmmm much as I thought. Won't be getting anything else out of me (she says).
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

It is a time to talk baby, congratulate the prospective Mummy,  talk names and compare notes and births etc,give them gifts, offer any support and help when the time comes, drinks and nibbles as has been said already, but non alcoholic... for Mum anyway.

And don't forget the biggest part of the shower is.....................................CAKE .........another good excuse to have a huge cake centre piece where everyone can eat cake and get even fatter. lol.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Sounds a bit airy fairy for me, but I am going for my friend to keep her company. As everybody else is from daughter in laws side. I am sure it will be fun. It was just I had never known anyone to have one of these parties before.
Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:
Sounds a bit airy fairy for me, but I am going for my friend to keep her company. As everybody else is from daughter in laws side. I am sure it will be fun. It was just I had never known anyone to have one of these parties before.

It is fun, a girly night. It is becoming more and more common now among the younger ones anyway. My daughters 30 years and younger go to them.

Personally I would love to be able to have one held for me, I always get broody lol, but sadly I am now past it.Smiley Sad

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Been to several & thoroughly enjoyed the girlie time & grub
Photobucket
Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

I have never been to one but think their a nice idea for a Girly getogether and buying lovely presents for mother and baby!!!!.Woman Happy

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Sorry to burst your bubble ladies ! But from a mans perspective it is just another way to get more presents for the unborn child and mother.

Then when the baby is born they expect more.

To me it just shows what this world has become ! lets get everything we can and sod everyone else.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

I also don't want to be a party pooper but these American traditions get on my nerves, especially the trick or treat rubbish!.

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Or you could look at it as something that is akin to what used to happen long ago before society became fragmented.

Granted that, like everything else, it seems it could be very commercial, but I've seen people getting involved with these and not only do they put a lot of time and love into creating some fun but very useful 'gifts' for the early days, they so often help out new parents to be with advice, giving them things that they might not have thought of, helping spread the financial costs of a new baby in a family, when families are so small and nothing like the larger groups they used to be, and sometimes people gift things they no longer need such as a crib so they are not thrown away or .......................... have all the hassle of thinking of selling on eBay.

It's also a good way for the mum to be to have a 'party' before baby comes and she becomes too tired and busy afterwards.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Trick or treat isn't American originally...it's a tradition known as guising that's still practiced in Scotland and some parts of Ireland and the north of England, we took it with us when we emigrated to America and it evolved slightly from doing a 'turn' for a treat to just asking for one.

But, it's not American really.

Photobucket

Defacer of Foam Zebras and Catcher of Coffee
Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Like all the Prom stuff too,thats come from America. Some parents lash out lots of money?,,i dont know why really!Woman Indifferent

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

Not even that either.

We've had it in one form or another for more than a century and a half - debutantes' balls, university May balls, coming out balls - back in the early sixties if not before, our school had an end of year ball for the sixth formers.

It cost not a small amount then as well.

We just didn't call them 'proms' because that's short for promenade and going way back, those too had a place in society for gals coming out, but were not the actual balls which was the coup de grace.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

I didn't do Haloween when I was young,we had to stay in in case the ghosts got us.  I didn't have a 'Prom'  when I left school, I didn't have a baby shower when I was carrying my son,  these things only seem to have come in in the last decade or so in a big way.  I am 54 and didn't have a deprived upbringing.

In my opinion all these things are brought over by  companies wanting to make more money.  For example in our store at Christmas and valentines they now sell crackers (like christmas ones)  crackers at haloween!!!!!!!!!!  whats that all about, oh I forgot they had them at Easter as well.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

@rose2008-2008 wrote:

Like all the Prom stuff too,thats come from America. Some parents lash out lots of money?,,i dont know why really!Woman Indifferent

Rose I think a lot of it stems from one upmanship and showing off.

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Up date on the baby shower,  we arrived at 6pm as we were instructed, everyone else turned up at 7pm, the girl whose party it was had to be driven around for nearly an hour as it was supposed to be a surprise.  We had curry and a natter but none of it was about the baby. Only 2 of us brought presents as the others are giving theirs when the baby comes. It was a lovely evening don't get me wrong but don't realy see the point of the baby shower bit.

I think we would have been better off taking her out on her own after the baby is born.

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Doesn't sound like a typical baby shower to me. All the ones I've been to have had a real party atmosphere, buffet & lots of fun & games. And guests who turned up at least 15 mins before the expectant mum. Lots of the fun is in the themeing of the shower. At our last one we found that a new baby bath made a great ice bucket for wine & soft drinks
Photobucket
Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Nope not at all like the one I went to, maybe we are a bit provincial here and the girls that organised it didn't realise what it was all about.

Mind you we were a little worried about the mum to be, she was complaining about her back aching all night so when we gave her a lift home I drove very very carefully.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent