microsoft word doccuments or letters

i have a small problem and i do not know how i done it or how to mend it.

right firstly i use microsoft documents alot when i set quiz rounds or write letters etc
 and up to last week never had a problem but then when i was redoing one of my quiz rounds last week this funny symbol started to appear at the end of every row and there is also a dot between each word the symbol looks like a back to front P with the hoop bit coloured in and a straight line directly after it..

even when i go on my older documents there is these marks and dots all over every document.

the only things i do know is

A ...you can not copy and paste it (or i would have shown you on here)

B.... when i print said document none of these marks or dots are printed.

its really p???ing me off.

can anyone advise me what i have touched or pushed or prodded.....

HELP  HELP  HELP

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi I cannot remember what it is called but it is just to show you where you have a line space etc.  Along the top of the screen you should be able to see the symbol to  turn it off again.  I no longer use Word otherwise I could be more specific but it can definitely be turned off.  It is only shown on screen not on printed documents.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Hi I cannot remember what it is called but it is just to show you where you have a line space etc.  Along the top of the screen you should be able to see the symbol to  turn it off again.  I no longer use Word otherwise I could be more specific but it can definitely be turned off.  It is only shown on screen not on printed documents.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Just found this on the web which should help

The dots and arrows certainly are a nuisance, but those strange ¶ symbols are really your friends. They show exactly where each paragraph ends. Since all paragraph formatting (tabs, indents, margins, line spacing, before and after paragraph spacing, ...) is attached to them, accidentally deleting one can cause mysterious reformatting problems. I've found it's nice to know where they are.

If you still want to get rid of everything, press CTRL/SHIFT/8 (the 8 above the alphabetic keypad).

But if you want to turn off just the other characters and leave the ¶s, here's how:

In Word versions prior to Word 2007:

1. Click the Tools->Options menu item.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Formatting Marks, select ONLY Paragraph Marks and deselect all others.
4. Click OK.

In Word 2007 or 2010:

1. In Word 2007, click the round Office button in the upper-left corner of the window. In Word 2010, click the File tab on the Ribbon.
2. In Word 2007, click the Word Options button. In Word 2010, click Options.
3. On the left side of the dialog box, click Display.
4. Under Always Show These Formatting Marks On The Screen, put a check mark next to Paragraph Marks.
5. Make sure all the other entries in this section are unchecked.
6. Click OK.

That's it

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

This help?:-

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

@fluffypenquin wrote:

hi thanks for replies i tried the two complicated suggestions thank you but you were trying to help a complete technophobe.

but as  fluffy penguin came down to my level and said theres a button there somewhere.(this is my level ) and then i went looking and found it ,clever me.and a big thank you.....

.................................................................................................................
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

🙂  yay glad you found it 🙂

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

it was bugging the hell out of me.still do not know how i clicked it.thank you..bashing computer.gif

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent