gammon or ham..

following on from recent threads re lurkers and less people here these days, i've actually started a thread ( must be a year +  since i did one 🙂

but i am here every day, lurking !

so...having read the christmas dinner thread, what is the difference between gammon and ham ?

i want one for christmas and have no idea what to buy, nor really how to cook it   i believe in the past i have bolied it ? eaten it hot then had it cold. i don't have a slow cooker.

thank you

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

gammon or ham..

Basically gammon is uncooked and when cooked it becomes gammon ham or just ham.

It can be boiled or roasted.  I love mine in the cookpot simply because I can just leave it all day and it wont dry out or burn. when done just put it in the oven for about half an hour just to crisp up the skin with whatever you put on it.

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

Sometimes I slow cook it or othertimes just bung it in the pressure cooker but I always roast it off after just cos my lot prefer it that way personally I quite like it just boiled as always sooooooo moist yummmm

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

Gammon is uncooked ham, or, ham is cooked gammon! 

I put it in a lidded casserole dish for half an hour in the hot oven and then 2 or 3 hours in the slow oven.  lots of liquid comes out so it cooks in the juice and is sort of roasted/boiled.  it's always nice and tender and juicy anyway.

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

I don't usually put it in the oven at all. I just boil it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

i am now sitting down to have gammon with onion sauce for my tea...sometimes we boil it and sometimes roast.

i think if you eat it hot fresh its gammon and once its gone cold its ham as in

tonight we have gammon for tea  with onion sauce

and

tomorrow we will have ham egg and chips ..with the left overs ..

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

We often cook a smallish gammon joint in the steamer - rarely gets finished in the oven

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

I also boil & finish off in the oven, I love it with new pots, broad beans & parsley sauce.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

You can still slow cook without a slow cooker. Put it in a large casserole dish or crock pot with a lid, add a wine glass of water, cook in the oven on gas mark 3 for 6 hours. It will be tender and delicious.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

i always put a cup of water in any meat i am roasting..mum always did so i followed on the custom..

.................................................................................................................
Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

You can't beat a gammon knuckle!Smiley Happy  Use a very sharp knife to make three deep scores  through to the uncooked meat, put into a pressure cooker with on a trivet with 1/3 of a pint of cold water, making sure there is no contact with the water and the knuckle.  You are not boiling it - you are pot roasting it.  Once a steady flow of steam comes out of the top, put on a 15lb. weight.  When, after ten minutes or so it starts to hiss, turn the gas down so it mutters away contentedly and leave for 40 - 45 minutes.  After having removed it and run cold water water over the lid to reduce the pressure, open it up and serve piping hot with peas pudding, new potatoes, and whatever else takes your fancy.  The skin/fat should just slide off effortlessly although I love it!  Don't throw away the water - it sets to a lovely firm jelly.  Once cold have it in sandwiches with English mustard.  Jewish people may have their hot salt beef sandwiches, but this equals their's in taste.  Now buy a couple of pre packed gammon steaks from Sainsbury's and you'll probably throw them in the bin!  Why?  Because they have been impregnated with salt water and compared to the real thing are as different as chalk and cheese.  Not even bacon will taste the same.  Cut into very thin slivers and fried like commercial packs of bacon, the difference will leave you spoiled - permenantly.

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

A pressure cooker with weights is what my gran had. Do they still make them? I do like to pressure cook but not seen one like that for a long, long time.:) I do my beef for pies in mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

I've still got my pressure cooker.  I must have had it 35 to 40 years.  I haven't used it for at least the last ten years I don't think!!

It always frightened the life out of me though!!  Woman LOL

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

They certainly do still make them with the different weights.  I've had mine for, must be nearly 40 years now - bit of a big beastie and rather heavy for me to lift now.

Here's one that predates possibly all of us

A very old one wot predates most of us

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

Good grief! that is an oldie. I bought a stainless steel one as I don't like using aluminium & it just has a steam release valve on the top. It's very safe & not scary at all! lol

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

so... 🙂

i want to buy a gammon, cook it, eat it with redcurrent jelly then put it in a sandwich and call it ham.

how long would i boil it for ?

is it something like 20mins a lb and 20 mins over ?  

pretty sure the one i bought years ago i boiled ( or simmered really ) took hours !  yes it was far too big ! - never listen to the ' friendly ' butcher again 🙂  actually i cut it in half and the 1st half i ate hot ( with leftovers ) and the 2nd half i left to cool to eat cold.

also like the idea of putting it in a lidded casserole dish in the oven, i can do that.

don't have a crock pot or a steamer or a pressure cooker either.

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

e two - both Prestiege, the first one belonging to my late mother who passed away in 1973!  It leaked like a sieve no matter jhow many times you replaced the seal, so in the end it was relegated to the far cupboard - I've since marriedand bought another one almost identical in style.  They're on to a winner, so why change things.  My wife is as scared of this new one as she was with the original one.  As soon as it starts hissing like an angry goose you won't see her for dust, and yet they're perfectly safe.  It's physically impossible to open one in error when under pressure.  Only once in all the years I had it did anything unbecoming happen - I had the safety valve blow out on me and had gravy all over the kitchen ceiling!  It didn't lose much, about half a pint, but the mess was out of this world!  It took me ages to find the pressure valve.  I merely gave it a quick wash, put it back in the lid, and carried on.  A quick clean-up the next day and nobody was any the wiser!  People don't look up generally, so I was able to get things back the way they were.  It went off with a hell of a bang though!Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

@shonafp wrote:

so... 🙂

i want to buy a gammon, cook it, eat it with redcurrent jelly then put it in a sandwich and call it ham.

how long would i boil it for ?

is it something like 20mins a lb and 20 mins over ?  

pretty sure the one i bought years ago i boiled ( or simmered really ) took hours !  yes it was far too big ! - never listen to the ' friendly ' butcher again 🙂  actually i cut it in half and the 1st half i ate hot ( with leftovers ) and the 2nd half i left to cool to eat cold.

also like the idea of putting it in a lidded casserole dish in the oven, i can do that.

don't have a crock pot or a steamer or a pressure cooker either.

to roast mine i just put in roasting tin with cup of water and cover in foil and i would put it in for maybe 30 mins per pound + 30...or boil for same amount of time but make sure the saucepan does not get short of water. we buy mr ts smoked gammon joints and have never had a bad one they are £6 so not to big..+ they tell you the cooking time... we had gammon sunday and we have ham egg and chips for t tomorrow night... and there will be enough for sandwiches maybe wednesday so very good value for money..

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

During the year, just for sandwiches for lunch I get one from there.  They're £5.99 and comes in a plastic bag.  You put it, in the sealed bag on a baking tray and cook it as per the instructions.  They are lovely but I don't think they have them in Scottish McTs. 

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

gammon or ham..

cookie and grandma - thank you for that - it never occurred to me the cooking time would be on it 😞  that'll be as i last bought one from a butcher and he told me.

£6 seems an excellent price and gives me an idea of how long that will last - long enough ! 

and despite my scottish username, i'm in torquay, devon 🙂

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent