Wireless door bell - any recomendations.

We have a wireless doorbell - the chime is on the wall in the hall, and the push button is by my bed. Not a vast distance between them, but a couple of internal plasterboard walls between push button and receiver.

This is well over 20 years old, and gets plenty of use - was originally on the front door, but has been used indoors for about 12 years so I can signal that I need help.

I am having great difficulty getting it to work - it makes it worse that every time "him indoors" tries it, it works perfectly. However because I got upset about it (after weeks of frustration) he has finally agreed that he will buy a new one.

I need something where the chime part is battery operated as there is a shortage of plug sockets in the hall - it needs to be sited in the hall to have any chance of being heard upstairs. It needs to be pretty loud (so that it can be heard upstairs).

Now I only do internet shopping, and it is impossible to listen to how loud the chime is, so I wondered if anyone had bought one recently that they could recommend.

Many thanks

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

mouse4702
Conversationalist

I can't say if they are any good, but they are on offer in L**L at the moment, very cheap.  They were in ours on Monday, at least.  Perhaps someone could go along and have a poke and a listen (preferably without being throw out of the store for chiming)

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Silly question but have you tried new batteries in both the bell push and the chime unit?

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

@soppysofty wrote:

Silly question but have you tried new batteries in both the bell push and the chime unit?

Yes, after weeks of me moaning he finally swapped the batteries, fiddled about with the contacts in the bell push but the result is exactly the same. It works perfectly every time HE presses it, works about 1 in 10 times if I press it.

He swears that I don't hold the button down long enough, yesterday when I couldn't get it to work I held my finger on the button whilst he came downstairs to me - it suddenly worked just as he reached the doorway.

I think is to with the angle that it is pressed - because he is standing up and the bell push is flat on the top of the chest of drawers, he presses staright downwards, when I press it is at a different angle.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent