Well really. I'm stunned.

Just heard on the news that Devon cointy council are considering asking people in rural areas to buy their own grit this winter and grit the roads themselves. Also to appointing road wardens from the community to repair pptholes and road signs.
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

lambsy_uk
Conversationalist

Well that's one way of saving money.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

there you are ed.a new part time job for you.c05141.gif

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

If it wasn't so farcical it would be funny! Would you be allowed to charge anyone for using the road?

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Now there's a thought cookie. After delving a bit deeper they are also considering no longer doing weedkilling on pavements and road edges, cutting the grass verges just twice a year. And retiring 5 road gritters. Better hope we don't get a bad winter.
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

The nearest grit bin to us is around the corner but in bad weather and when you're unsteady on your feet, it is no fun.   Must admit though that one of our neighbours is brilliant and he'd get grit for us and he even puts it on the drive and road for us. More often than not, there's no grit in the box.  That box covers from our side of this area of town right to the other end which is over a mile away.  

Must admit though ed, it sounds like the type of thing that our council would do.  

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Good idea.  They should get benefit scroungers to do something for their money!

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Mmmm. It wont be will it too much hwalth and safety.
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

You well may be right there ed.  A few years ago when the weather was really bad and we couldn't get on or off our estate, the bins hadn't emptied for a couple of weeks.  I asked our local council could they ask the men who empty the bins to clear the snow from the pavements so that at least people especially the elderly could get out.  The following day, they came to empty the bins and they had awful problems getting round here with the bin wagon and also walking on the pavements.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Just wondering how long it will be until we have to empty our own bins and teaxh our own children. Not to mention use our own brooms to sweep the roads.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

I know where you're coming from ed.  Our council must spend thousands of pounds on an A4 sized glossy magazine which is pushed through every letterbox in the borough and yet they can't spend the money on what matters.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

We already have snow wardens in the village of which my husband is one. They use their 4x4 to help the elderly with their shopping etc and they help to distribute the salt. But having to buy the stuff as well! It is only in the consultation period at the moment and they want us to have our say.
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

I know what I'd be saying to ed.  We pay enough in council tax and we should not be expected to pay for extras such as grit and we should be expected to do the council's job for them.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent