Tuning a bass guitar

I have acquired a bass guitar.  It sounds like nothing on earth and in real need of a tune.  How do I tune ir?  I have a Snark but I used it to tune conventional electric and acoustic guitars.  If I connect it up, will it understand it is a bass four stringed guitar as opposed to a conventional six stringed instrument?

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Tuning a bass guitar

Blimey Fred, I haven't a clue, but I will give it a go,  trussssssssssssssst me.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

I've just tried it out and its sounds just a little bit better.  At least with a bass guitar you don't have to waste money buying one of those rediculous whammy bars.  All they do is un tune it in record time.  The Snark must have known what it was foing, because I was able to more or less play the chord.  It would probably sound a lot better once it's plugged into an amplifier, something I haven't got.  I'd be lost without my Snark.  I could have got one off the internet sheaper, but chose to visit a local music centre helping him to stay in business.  The web is killing locad trade.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

I have a bass guitar and I tune with a bass guitar tuner.

If you have an ear for tone, tune it from the top to G D A E

I use the bass to play single bass notes, and not chords.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

You can download a guitar tuning app to your mobile phone and then use that to tune your guitar - works brilliantly

Try Guitartuna

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

Thanks for your advice.  I've managed t get it tuned - of a sort.  I'm unlikely to buy another bass though, so I don't want to start throwing good money after bad.  I haven't got a musical ear at all.  I was carrying a guitar on the way to a music shop to buy a whammy bar - they didn't know what thread it took, when somebody ask me what I played.  I replied  "The fool."  He was in fits of laughter.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

Standard tuning for a bass guitar is E,A,D,G. Once  you know this the tuner should be able to do the rest!

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Tuning a bass guitar

have you tried  youtube for videos on 'how to ...'  do stuff

im sure they'd be a better help than a text answer

you may even get the make/model of the bass

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent