Some people really know how to take advantage of others......

Some of you may remember a couple of years ago we looked after OH's boss's dog for a few weeks whilst he went on hols.Twice.

The mutt drove me mad, damaging my house, walks were horrible as he pulled constantly -  it was an untrained out of control bundle of gorgeousness.

And last summer I was stressing on here about having to look after the parrot and monkey - in the end we visited his house every couple of days to feed them.

Then OH said we would look after the monkey and parrot here this time, as they are currently indoor pets, and they have been here 3 weeks now. The parrot is a noisy nightmare and I don't really like it. The monkey (marmoset) is lovely, and not really any trouble...

I have started to let him out of the cage for a few minutes and he seems happy. I hate the fact he is a pet, and hope to change that in the future (by suggesting he go and live at Monkey World!) and I am against anyone keeping either of these as pets.

So, the boss is on hols and due back in 2 weeks. But now says he is staying another month.

*is a bit annoyed*

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

I'm sorry  but people only take advantage of others if they are allowed to. 

Say no, simple really.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

No, Chips - some people arew forced into a corner!!

Pixachu - send him an email (or text) saying "that's fine", but you will be putting said dog into a suitable alternative holiday home, as you have plans for the next two weeks. "Sorry, and all that" etc etc

He is taking the mickey, IMO, and personally speaking, I would not agree to look after pet again.

Photobucket

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Sorry - just re-read, and realised it's for another month, and for multiple pets too! What an *rs*h*le*bleep*

Now that is more than taking the mickey!

Photobucket

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

It's tricky as it's the boss.... and he is generous.He is Italian, and sees us as family really now.

He let us stay at his house in Brazil (yeah, that did actually cost us a lot in air fares, and of course we gave money towards food, fuel for the boat etc...)

I have had to buy more food already for the monkey, more toys for the parrot (he destroys them).... hopefully they will reimburse.

But also had to buy lots of candles/pet safe air fresheners to mask the monkey whiff!

Plus the time I spend cleaning up after them.... or just giving them the attention they deserve.

The pets are actually given more attention here than at home, and "unfortunately" the owner thinks they are having a great time !!

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Can you say that initially things were great but now you feel that his pets are starting to pine for him and a month would be too long. I can see your dilemma though.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Oh! Then even though you paid for bits and bobs towards your accommodation, your boss gave you a great (partially-funded) holiday. Sounds like a reciprocal kind of agreement? Am I right or wrong there?

Possibly you do owe him. I'd be more than happy to look after pets in exchange for a holiday in Brazil. I've looked after other people's pets for much less (including parrots, sea dragons, cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, fish, chickens, gerbils. . . . . some of it involving administering early-morning injections for diabetes). Brazil . . . here I come!!!! Oh, no! Seems I don't.

Looks like I may have got the wrong end of the stick from your fist post, Pixachu. What exactly is your agreement with him?  Hard to make a judgement call without knowing all the facts, really   Smiley Happy  heart

Photobucket

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Lol, there isn't really an agreement or anything. The holiday last year was because he really wanted company at his huge house in Brazil.

And although I rarely see him or his family, we get along fine and, like I said, he treats us more as friends than a boss usually would. So it's a bit complicated, and no isn't really an option, unless we were allergic to the animals.

But I think it's a bit much to ask for such a long time. He did genuinely intend staying about 5 weeks,  but now he has said he wants to stay longer. Lucky, eh? It's summer in Rio!!

I guess I should be happy that he trusts me with his pets 🙂

Maybe I just get narked as I don't feel he really appreciates my help, and the parrot annoys me sometimes (just too loud/shouty!) but I should realise in the long term he is a generous boss/friend..... and obviously thinks we are now good trustworthy friends.

*just needed to vent earlier*

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

@kiss*my*pixel wrote:

No, Chips - some people arew forced into a corner!!

Once maybe, but not time after time.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I agree Chips - the conversation has moved on since that comment  Smiley Happy

Photobucket

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

It is lovely that he trusts you with his pets, Pixachu but if you're not happy with this arrangement, then you need to speak out. Possibly follow my suggestion above and say you're sorry but you can't look after the animals for this extended period as you have other arrangements. It isn't fair if he is putting on you - only you know this, though. You shouldn't feel obliged to keep him happy just because he's your boss, and he shouldn't put you in this situation. Perhaps he doesn't realise, perhaps he hasn't thought about it, and if you say "Actually,l no, I can't" - it may make him rethink!

Good luck with it.  Smiley Happy

Photobucket

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

I agree with pixel

This man obviously doesn't look after his own pets anyway and leaves it to someone else, otherwise he would realise what work is involved in looking after them...

I would tell him that you cannot look after them for longer because you can't stand the noise of the parrot and feel it's just  too long to look after it and the marmoset. Before you speak to him make some enquiries with a vet or local cattery and kennels and see if they can help you. If they can then tell him what the cost is and you'll arrange it.

Be firm and remember "No" is a complete sentence and you don't need to explain if you don't want to.

I think he's seriously taking advantage by moving the goal posts and not considering your own life style and how it might be restricting it.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent