Sending gold through the post for cash - always discrepancy with weight

I have used Hatton Gdn for the last few years to cash my gold in and their weights were always spot on with what i measured it to be. That is until 2 months ago when it was always a discrepancy creaping in of 2 grams less here and there with me being out of pocket. Also, a couple of items i was told were not gold, despite them being hallmarked, so i got fed up with them. 

So, because i am in dire straights with finances due to ill health and selling on here is like pulling teeth at the moment, I decided to try another jeweller in Birmingham who claim (as they all do) to pay the best price. I sent i14 grams of 9ct via Special Delivery and inside the packet was 2 sheets of paper along with the gold. 

Today i get a phone call from this jeweller who said my gold was only 11.8grams? I queried the difference and was promptly told that their scales are callibrated to the finest measurement. Hopefully i said, were the P.O's. Anyway, i nip to the P.O (only a few doors away) to check the weight of the jiffy bag and paper (obviously minus the gold) and it came to 17 grams exactly (same as my scales).

Phone the jeweller back and query the weight he gave, but he got all uppetty and said, well our scales are correct as they have to be. He said P.O's werent callibrated, but they do so every Monday morning (so they tell me).

I'm not nit picking but 2 grams of gold at nearly £9 a gram is a lot to lose when your'e desparate 😞

So, gold on it's way back to me as this time i have a bee in my bonnet to prove i'm correct lol!  

I've done lots of research on-line and loads of people always state, great service but discrepancy in weight of a couple of grams but thought my scales must be wrong. 

If 60 people send gold in every day and they were all 1 gram out, that a lot of profit  for the jeweller.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

just Googled this link about prices

http://www.scrapgolduk.co.uk/?gclid=CL-Ku4uPucICFQQTwwoddkoAUQ

Petal
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

we took  gold to our local jewellers a few yrs back

ask them to weigh it

went round 5 in town, 

went back to the one who offered us the best price

our local guys are often seen sending gold off, i guess they buy a fair amount in

other people don want to bear the cost of special delivery and wait around when they can get cash in hand

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

I've bought and sold with these people I've found them straight and reliable, last lot of scrap was over £600 worth and payment was virtually by return:-

http://www.cooksongold.com/metalprices/

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

There should be a Rogues Gallery where jewellers are required to defend themselves.  I needed the money so I sold one of my rings worth £65.00 in scrap.  One person had the audacity to offer me £32.00 The jeweller I normally go to was shut.  I settled for £55.00 which was acceptable.  The person who offered me £32.00 lost out in more ways than one way because although his prices were reasonable we now just walk straight past his shop.  As somebody else pointed out, just shop around. 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

There is a long thread on Money Saving Expert forum about selling gold, and Hatton Garden was mentioned as being one of the good ones, however maybe they aren't any more which is a shame.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanual Kant
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks peeps.

Yes, i got them to return it to me and it definitely weighs 14grams.....so i posted to Hatton Garden for one last try and they actually agreed with me for once....yay!

So, got what i wanted in price. Sadly no more to cash in Smiley Sad 

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent