Save Your Coppers

Does anyone save one pences and two pences?. I collect them and then do not know really to take them in a shop or a bank?. I usually make up the odd for bills and put them in a little bag when i pay. But i dont know if you can just walk into a bank and ask them to change them can you. I feel a bit awkward doing things like that. I know some shops want change i suppose?. Ideas what you good people do with yours?.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

Save Your Coppers

I think the bank's only take them if you are putting it into your account. I save mine in a special box the horse and donkey sanctuary sent me. I fill it up and then change it in the supermarket change machine.

Photobucket

Message 2 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I object to the change machines though cos they take 7 or 8 pence in every pound.

If you go to the bank they will give you the bags to count the change into and once bagged they happily accept it and will exchange it for paper money.

We sat yesterday afternoon and bagged up my sisters tip money which she has saved up for 2 years and she had saved enough to pay for her son's driving lessons! 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

oh there you go then, better get counting.

Photobucket

Message 4 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

i was told the PO will only take as payment for a bill

my bank only used to left you pay 5 bags worth in at a time -  they used to count it out

these days i swap a bag at my LCS  after i had a chat with the manager,  only he and one other MOS will do it though, 

i generally take a poundsworth of copper to them

we used to take them and play the slots  with the kids with them

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 5 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I bet the 99p shop will be glad of your pennies!!  Shops have to pay for change from the bank.  Hubby takes his egg money to the fish and chip shop every week.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

Some good ideas here girls,,,,,, mmmm yes i will count some out.. Dont know why i just do ones and twos,,i suppose their the ones that accumulate. Its so fiddly counting them out to give a cashier when your in a queue!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 7 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I'm saving mine to make a floor for my hallway......I'm about 3/4 way there I think..

233.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 8 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

Wow that is a stunning floor Twishy!

Message 9 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

But think of the choklit you could buy with that, twish!!  Woman LOL

Message 10 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

In our Natwest they have a cash machine that takes cheques and cash to pay into your account or pay bills. The cash part of it is like the coin machine that you find in supermarkets - but without the commission charge.

Message 11 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

My OH takes ours into work where its changed for notes. Last time it was abut £230 should be there abouts this time too. It and all future loose change is going to go into an account for my first grandson due in April. 🙂

Message 12 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I collect mine and bag them up into the same denomination and take them to the bank and put them into my account at the bank.  My bank will only take five bags at a time as well.

Message 13 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

BTW, I love the floor Twishy.

Message 14 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

Mine goes into a large VAT whisky bottle and I mean large, I just empty any change into there, so long as it is coinage it goes in there, when it is full I change it up in the change machine at work, I know you have to pay some of it but the banks and post office always tut and sigh if I take it in there, so I don't bother.

Message 15 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I take this household's spare change in to our local Hospice shop.  They are very happy to receive them, & seem jolly about counting it out

When my children were small, I used to put it all on a tray with some bags & tell them that any correctly filled bags could be taken to the bank & exchanged for the value.  Soon done!!

That floor must be some weight Twishy!  

Message 16 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

Depends.  When kids were young they counted the money into bags which we changed for arcade money on holiday.  However there was always about 1/4 tin left over. The kids grew up and i had to do it myself. Then I discovered coinstar.  Shove money in, all of it gone, voucher issued in the same amount of time it takes the bank to weigh and measure.  No spending ages bagging up, keeping what is left - I do not begrudge the comission.  Last time I had £30.00+, checked through the receipt and if bagged up it would have been about £16.00 in the bank and the rest back in the tin.

Message 17 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

photo money1.gif

Photobucketevry time i go to withdraw money from bank i save a £1  all change from shopping

20p 10p 5p 2p 1p all go in bottle for the little extra's at Chrismas

was going to take it to mashine or bank but the market people took it all and counted it too i think it was £187  if i remember right

Petal
Message 18 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

Photobucketforgot to say it was only filled about 5 inches

i still got the 5p in a litre class mug half full thousands of em

Petal
Message 19 of 37
See Most Recent

Save Your Coppers

I do like that floor TWISHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Its not really yours is it?????. I want one like that. Ohhhhhhh i wish they had a penny arcade near me like at the seaside,,,,it used to be a passion of mine as a little girl. Down to Folkstone dragging my poor father round the arcade ah ha ha ha ha. He could never get me to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 20 of 37
See Most Recent