Problem with a car we haven't got!

Our Renault developed several expensive faults, so in June we went looking for another, and bought a Vauxhall.  We haven't got room for two cars on our drive,  OH took the Renault to a scrap dealer.  However, as he has neither a photo driving licence (he has an old paper one, which he never got round to replacing), nor a passport,  (because we don't go abroad), the dealer would not accept the car unless we took along someone - anyone -  with one of those forms of ID. 

Not wanting to wait till our daughter was available, OH rang a dealer from the local paper, and he came round and paid us cash for the car.  We posted the slip that has to go to the DVLA, the same day.  Just had a letter from them saying our Renault isn't insured, and asking us to insure it, declare it SORN, or write with the buyer's details, to avoid a fine.  We didn't keep a note of his details as we didn't think it necessary at the time.  So the slip must have been lost in the post - yes, it does happen!

OH wrote to DVLA  and explained the situation, and we are now waiting to hear from them, but I am now getting worried about being fined.  Other than trying to get hold of an old copy of the local paper and hopefully recognising the ad, I can't think what to do.  We can't insure a car we don't own, and can't declare it off road as that would not be true.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Phone DVLA and explain what's happened. They ARE human.  I recently scrapped a vehicle and used my photo ID bus pass, which was fine with the scrap man. The newspaper publisher should have back issues to view and you may still have the 'dealer's' phone number on a phone bill.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

I don't suppose that you either have, or could get an itemised phone bill - with that and a bit of detective work you might be able to identify the dealer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Thanks, but I have a nasty feeling OH used his mobile! We will certainly try phoning them, if we don't get a reassuring reply to our letter soon. 

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

You can get an itemised bill for a mobile phone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

I don't think so, for a pay-as-you-go. I'm going to try to get a copy of that week's paper to see if OH recognises the ad. Will also try to find phone number for DVLA, though OH wrote to them as requested telling them what happened.  Nice to be told they are human!  I was thinking of them as a faceless bunch who don't believe anyone's true story!

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Put your husbands phone number into his network and it will give you his history ..It works on Orange Pay .As YoU Go
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Did not succeed, or maybe did it wrong.  We're both with t-mobile, or whatever they're called these days

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

@vamo48 wrote:

Did not succeed, or maybe did it wrong.  We're both with t-mobile, or whatever they're called these days

... Google T Mobile My T-Mobile Login - Mobile Phone Services - T-Mobile - EE https://tmobile.ee.co.uk/service/your-account/default-tm-login/ Create your own My T-mobile online ... track of your mobile phone activity. ‎Retrieve Username - ‎Register - ‎Retrieve Password
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Thanks, Tommy

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Problem solved, thanks all!

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent