Pancakes - well, how did your's go?

Pancake Day today.  Spent forty-odd minutes cooking for my wife and daughter and, surprise, surprise, there was actually enough left over this time for li'le ole me!  It rubbish what it says on the packet - enough for eight pancakes.  If you're lucky, you'll get three!  They like their pancakes thick, but to me, there's only one way to have them - paper thin with sugar an lemon, and then rolled up like a cheroot and held in your fingers for everything to run all over your hands and face! Man LOL  Diabetic or not, I couldn't give a damn.  When I go, I want to skid in sideways, brandy in one hand, bacon sandwich in the other.  Like Sammy Davis Juniour, I wanna go out with a bang!  Lol! 

NOW CLEAN YOUR TEETH! Man LOL

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

I didn't do or buy any pancakes today, just had a normal dinner, lol! 😛
Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

Pancake Day today.  Spent forty-odd minutes cooking for my wife and daughter and, surprise, surprise, there was actually enough left over this time for li'le ole me!  It rubbish what it says on the packet - enough for eight pancakes.  If you're lucky, you'll get three!  They like their pancakes thick, but to me, there's only one way to have them - paper thin with sugar an lemon, and then rolled up like a cheroot and held in your fingers for everything to run all over your hands and face! Man LOL  Diabetic or not, I couldn't give a damn.  When I go, I want to skid in sideways, brandy in one hand, bacon sandwich in the other.  Like Sammy Davis Juniour, I wanna go out with a bang!  Lol! 

NOW CLEAN YOUR TEETH! Man LOL

I like them the same way as yourself Frederick. Too full to have them tonight though but perhaps tomorrow. Don't buy a packet. just use flour, eggs & milk. You can make a big jugfull & just keep on pouring! So easy.Woman Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

I have never had pancakes for years and I can honestly say that I don't really miss them either.  It's each to their own I suppose.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

In France they have similar, except they sprinkle brandy on them instead of lemon, and fold them up as opposed to rolling them.  They call them un crepe but the pronouneation is something TOTALLY different!  Man LOL Man LOL Man LOL  ROTF!

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

3 on the ceiling, 2 on the floor and 6 on the plate - better than last year.

Why is my frying pan non-stick for pancakes but made of velcro when I fry an egg?

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Down, quickly

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

French Crépes are lovely. Especially with Cointreau! I might do some plain old british ones tonight but I need to get a lemon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

I've got lemon curd, I could spread some of that on I suppose....

I never got around to it last night, too much on in the day. I did pick up a packet of pancakes in the store, but there's only two of us and there were 10 in the packet!!!!

Photobucket

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

The Diabetic pancake is made with whole meal flour ! & I have to tell you it's ORRID !!. So I'm afraid this is one of the occasions I don't follow the diabetic route, & it doesn't hurt once in awhile as long as you don't over do it.lol

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

ohhh French crepes are sooo  Delicious also the savoury ones called Galette's made from buckwheat flour Smiley Tongue

I'm with you there Sam...nothing wrong with a little treat every now and again!

Photobucket

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

I'll make the pancakes you bring the lemon curd, is it the sort that makes yer tabs larf? lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Mine were lovely straight out of the packet in the microwave, bit of lemon bit of sugar, - done.

My only failing in life is not being able to make batter,  tried everything, every recipe, every tip, nope rubbish.

I love crepes, used to buy them from a seller under the Eiffel tower when we went to Paris, served with Cointreau and a little creme fraiche.    mmmmmmmmmm yummy.  They also did savoury ones with a mince filling I seem to remember.

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

I'm doing them tonight when the gang is here.....

cherry filling and vanilla icecream ones...

* dribble*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

No i never had them,,im not crazy about them really. Hope you enjoyed yours if you did have a go at flippin pancakes!!!! LOL. 

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Aaahh, Ed - I used to be exactly the same with batter. Absolutely could never get it right, couldn't do pancakes, yorkies, anything battery, they always turned out absolutely disgusting; but one day it just sort of clicked and now I can do it!!

Failsafe batter for pancakes:

4oz plain flour

quarter pint milk and quarter pint water (some recipes call for half pint of milk, but milk and water mixture makes a lighter batter)

1 egg

1 tablespoon veg oil

pinch of salt

Whizz them all up together with a hand mixer, heat pan to a medium heat, add a ladleful of batter and swirl, then flip accordingly.

I've never had to throw away the first one (which many people say you have to do).

I did them yesterday - young'uns in the house had theirs with Nutella and cream (yeuch!), Mr Pix had traditional lemon and sugar.

I didn't have any, as I don't eat sweet things. They appeared to be very well received (lots of oooh, yum yum)  Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Made some for my mother with sugar and lemon and  another with golden syrup.. I flipped them and yaaayyy they stayed in the pan. She said she enjoyed them.......success lol.

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

I had mine on the second level up on the Eiffel Tower.  It was a bit on the cool side, and the memory lasted a lifetime.  

Slightly off-topic, Ivisitors to the Eiffel tower are charged accordingly on what level they stop off at.  There are three observation levels.So many people gun for the top, thinking it accommodates the best views, being the highest point - wrong - and disappointing, too.  You see no more from the very top than you do on the second layer, and on the second layer you have all the shops and sidestalls.  We only made that mistake once - it was level two for us every time after that.  Wouldn't you agree, Ed? 

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Used to be a nursery teacher so had to make pancakes with the morning children , pancakes with the afternoon children then pancakes when I got home after school. Pancake day was pancake DAY for me ...

Now I no longer work so do what I like ....did not tell my hubby it was pancake day ....yippee no pancake making for me ....
Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent