Pads and Tablets

When you get an Ipad or any sort of Tablet is it just like the equivelant of a smaller laptop?. Can you do everything on them like go on here ect?. And do you just plug them in or charge them up?. Im sorry but im not up on the latest technology and may want to think about getting one. I know i have this pooter but sometimes i would like to sit on my sofa and do this. Have you women and men got one?.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Pads and Tablets

Sorry Rose, just a laptop for me, bit of a technophobe me, so laptop is fine, but I think others on here have them.

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

I've got an i pad Rose, I got it so that it wasn't so cumbersome when travelling, I like it but, it takes some getting used to as you can see, like pics& smilies I can't use. I think that's more me though as I'm not a computer buff at all . the things I have found have been by accident . Yes you charge it up like a phone & in its favour it works better than a main computer in my area & it's nice to sit by the fire at night & not have to move into the office to crank up the computer in the hope the reception is good on that evening. Mine is an Apple IPad, but you can get other makes & they are coming down in price all the time now. Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

Your also wire free Rose not like a laptop

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

I am wire free too Sam,  hubby fixed up wifi, and my battery lasts for about 5 hours, so I can use it anywhere.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

i just bought myself a new tablet samsung galaxy 3 tab £250 ish and i love it compared to my old packard bell.mine is 10 inch as i play games on it and like the size.smaller are cheaper and yes i think from diong pics and smileys on here i can do anything you can do on a computer or laptop...hope this helps.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

Sorry I meant if you are using a laptop & are running low you continue to use it plugged in . Well! I think that's what I meant, I feel another senior moment coming on.lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

Hi my friend has an Ipad and she had downloaded music and photographs etc on it. She bought and downloaded a Dance and Keep Fit video - is there a way she can link the Ipad to a TV so that she can watch them?  Thanks

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

I have an Apple iPad and yes, you charge it like a lappy, you can use it for on here and send and recieve emails and I love taking photos with it,  You can make the photos funny like looking in those bendy mirrors at the fair.  I don't know about all the 'clever' stuff such as spread sheets and 'Word' and stuff because I can't do that on a computer anyway!!  Put it this way, whatever I can do on a laptop I can do on an iPad.  Woman Happy

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

The title of this thread would have meant something completely a few years ago! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

🙂 - Patch that is so true 🙂

Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

@ilove2patch wrote:

The title of this thread would have meant something completely a few years ago! lol

I thought exactly the same thing Maggie, problems with the monthlies!!  Woman LOL

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

Lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

Rose, I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and I like it a lot.  It's bigger than a phone

so easier to see and work with.  I haven't worked out all it does yet (and probably never will!).

If you haven't got wifi, you have to have a little thingamygig that you get the signal from

or sit near someone who has wifi!

What you can't do is put stuff you do on there onto a usb stick for use elsewhere.

I presume you can get yourphotos off it, but I haven't yet worked out how (techno-numptyness!).

But it's great for using on the go, thin enough to slip into a (largeish) handbag, not too heavy

and the quality of them gets better and better.

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

@rose2008-2008 wrote:

When you get an Ipad or any sort of Tablet is it just like the equivelant of a smaller laptop?. Can you do everything on them like go on here ect?. And do you just plug them in or charge them up?. Im sorry but im not up on the latest technology and may want to think about getting one. I know i have this pooter but sometimes i would like to sit on my sofa and do this. Have you women and men got one?.

No, they are very far from being just like the equivalent of a smaller laptop - much less storage, much less processing power, no cd / dvd drive, no usb ports so you can't transfer files about.  You can't "rip" a cd onto them, so can only get music on them by either downloading, or by connecting them to a computer / lap-top.

Instead of loading programs and games etc., from a dvd, you have to download everything from the internet. You download "apps" that are often slimmed down versions of the equivalent program or game, so you don't always get all the functions (such as pictures or smilies in ebay).

They are mostly fine for the internet, may be fine for email (depending on who your internet provider is) if you only have a single email address.

Yes they are lightweight and portable, yes you can charge them up and get about 4 hours wire-free use. You can also use them whilst connected to the mains if the battery has run down, but may well not charge up if you are actually using them.

There are lots of games etc. available, but storage space is limited, so you may find that in practice the number that you can have is limited, especially if you want to store music or pictures.

If you only want a gadget to access the internet and play a few games, then they will probably do what you want, but they are very far from the functionality of a laptop. They are mostly pretty good for video type phone calls - let you chat with folks anywhere in the world over your broadband connection.

BUT, and it is quite a big but, they are highly reliant on a broadband connection - fine if you you only use them at home, but can be a problem if you are away and can't find a free wi-fi hotspot. Because they have no USB port you can't just plug in a dongle to get internet access. Some (such as the ipad) can take a mini sim card and can run on a mobile contract, but that can work out expensive.

The keyboard can be a real pain too - no separate keyboard, just the on-screen keyboard, and you often have to switch keyboards to get numbers or symbols - can be a real pain when trying to put in a password! Some of them you can connect a wireless external keyboard.

Connecting them to a printer isn't exactly straightforward, you will need one of a limited range of printers.

You can watch catchup tv, can download films and watch them, but not everyone finds watching on a small screen a positive experience. Because it is a small screen editing photos or doing any sort of graphics work can be dificult, especially if your eyesight is less than perfect.

In theory you can connect them to the TV to play films on the TV, but you will need to have a TV that is connected to your broadband.

You can get "apps" for word processing or spreadsheets, but they are very much cut down versions with a lot of the features that you are used to using on a computer missing. They also store files in a different format to programs such as word or excel, so formatting doesn't always transfer. To be able to share a file with your computer (or vice versa) you will either have to use "cloud" storage, or email the file to yourself. As I mentioned earlier printing is far from simple.

Provided that you buy books from the official site, most tablets work very well as an e-reader, but do check that there is an "app" avaialble for the model that you want. Works fine except in bright sunlight.

Some people love them, some hate them. I have an i-pad mini that is fabulous for video phone calls - grandson reads bed-time stories to me, and I can see what grand-daughter is up to. I however use it for nothing else - there is no way that I could manage my email on it. Some folks find that big fingers and small screens are not a brilliant mix, but that can be got round by using one of the special stylus pens (also keeps the screen clean).

Remember that they use a touch screen - needs frequent cleaning!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

@ilove2patch wrote:

LOL i never thought of that haaaaaa haaaa haaaa OMG thats so funny.

Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

LOTS of information thank you ladies.

When you charge it then do you have to have a Wi Fi Port?, is that something you have to buy then. You dont just charge it from a plug?. Excuse my sillyness i dont understand the NOW technology.

I never knew you could take photos with them!!!!!!!!. OOerrrrrrr.

Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

my little tablet charges throug a usb cable to the computer or its own  charger i plu into a socket - its a thin socket and i feeel easily damaged, i dont seem to get  as long with the charge  if im using too many  applications at once

i only use it for  the ereader and a few games and i found it too slow for pages loading  but do take it out  as a  'just in case' when travelling

i find my laptop has been better but you can still need to have an external  drive if you want to download lots of stuff or store lots if you arent keeping your computer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

yes as towery said just charge it via usb in computer or by a normal plug like a mobile phone then if you have wifi at home just put code into tablet and you have the internet.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

Pads and Tablets

OOhhhh i see mmmm a nifty little gadget,,not everyones cuppa though. interesting.

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent