OOPS! Dropped somebody right in it - doh!

A seller put up an item for 99p, trying to avoid the insertion fee.  I was watching it and it seemed a bit odd that nobody was bidding on it, so in an effort to start the ball rolling and raise her spirits, I decided to bid on it at 99p on it.  Shock, horror, I now find that nobody else has increased the bid over the course of the last five days, and it's only got about four hours to go!  I emailed her pointing out she'd better put a reserve price on it, or revise it otherwise she'd be honour bound to sell it to me for virtually nothing, advising her how to word the ad and telling her a realistic starting price - it's a 3/4 sized ladies guitar, a hobby of mine - I've sold about four over the internet, so I do know something about guitars.  We exchanged light hearted banter about me getting the sale of the century.  She then emailed me telling me that she was unable to do this, because somebody (me) had already put in a bid!  Also it would be too late anyway, as she was going to France for a few days

My conscience will not allow me to pick up something for nothing - I play a very straight bat and cannot in my heart of hearts take advantage of the situation.  The only way out I can see is for me to either buy it from her officially for 99p and settle up with her privately, or to contact Resolutions and tell them I bid in error for an item and wish to retract it, and that the seller is happy about it and wishes to oblige.  I'm sitting here praying that somebody will outbid me in the closing seconds, but I'd still hate to see her lose it for about £3.00.  It's worth about £25.00 although I wouldn't have been prepared to go over £15.00 - I'm in it to make money, as are we all.  She hasn't a great deal of selling experience and said she didn't think of putting a reserve price on it until it was too late.

Under these particular circumstances, what would you do?

Message 1 of 37
See Most Recent
36 REPLIES 36

minimum reserve is  still £50 i think, so that would have been a washout

if you do win it you can offer her more money  if it will help

you had til 24hr before the end to retract your bid

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 2 of 37
See Most Recent

Same happened to me about 6 years ago.

I bid on a dressing table and won it for 99p

I went to collect it, and gave the seller a tenner as it was worth that to me.

I still have that dressing table to this day

Photobucket
Message 3 of 37
See Most Recent

You're looking at the wrong one.   pink in colour, got two hours to go.  One bid - mine.  

Message 4 of 37
See Most Recent

when a seller puts on an item at 99p that's the chance they take - that it only sells at 99p

if you bid on an item at 99p then there is a chance you will get that item at 99p.

you really should not bid on items you don't actually want - you might end up buying it !

Message 5 of 37
See Most Recent

I agree - and I would like it. but this poor girl didn't have the sence to put a reserve price on it.  Thus said, I do somehow have to collect it from London or pay for the postage.   Ironically I'm getting a good price for another 3/4 size which I've got bids on, but I still feel just a wee bit guilty about my prize!  Smiley LOL  It happened to me when I first started off eight years ago with a brand new, boxed cycle helmet - went for a derisory £2.00!  We live and learn.  Another error was I forgot to add postage for a pair of shoes.  That cost me heavily, too.

Message 6 of 37
See Most Recent

A seller put up an item for 99p, trying to avoid the insertion fee

No free 99p listings anymore. Private buyers get 20 any price free listings per month

I emailed her pointing out she'd better put a reserve price on it

Minimum reserve is £50... so for an item you say is worth £25 a silly suggestion

Thus said, I do somehow have to collect it from London or pay for the postage

Did she say she would be happy to pack the guitar and post it to you? Item was listed as collection in person. This is probably one of the reasons it had no other bids. I see you are selling a 3/4 size guitar, and it is collection only. Will you be willing to pack it for the buyer, and then risk it to the vaguaries of the postal/courier system?

Message 7 of 37
See Most Recent

Well, it's mine, anyway.  I've just paid for it.

I didn't know there are no longer any 99p free listings - neither did she apparantly.  Neither did I know about the minimum £50.00 reserve price.

Is she prepared to get a postage price from the Post Office?  Why not - I'd be paying for the postage fee.  I'm not a spiv - I'd give ger a reasonable price for it privately.  Obviously I don't have to, but I don't operate like that.

Yes, I'm selling a 3/4 size guitar and got three bids on it, so I'm doing alright.Smiley Wink  If somebody asks me for a postage price after the bidding is shut I'd probably make all the right groaning noises, but yes, I'd bubblewrap and put some paper round it namesake and get a price on it.  It would be down to him to send me the postage money seperately.  I certainly wouldn't bother getting quotes from couriers.  It would be a bit of a drag, yes, but it's my signature: "going the extra mile is standard".  If it can't be sorted out it would have to go to the second bidder.  In fact Cash Converters would give you about £18.00 on a straight sale.  I know, because I've used them on occasions when I had no watchers and needed the money.

Message 8 of 37
See Most Recent

A seller put up an item for 99p, trying to avoid the insertion fee.

How on earth can you assume other people's motives for why they do things?  A comment like this is your thought, and yours only; it is not a fact.  How would you feel if someone else posted about your motives for what you do? Bad enough if they were correct, very bad and very unfair comment if they were not. 

Lots of sellers start even valuable items at 99p, to generate interest and lot of bidders, and they trust the item will find its market value.  I see lovely stripped pine furniture for example starting at 99p.  I don't think I could be so brave, especially as I have a small catchment area for anything that needs collection, but many sellers do it and it seems to work for them. 

Some private sellers may not be that bothered if their item doesn't fetch the market value - some folk are just pleased that their stuff goes to someone who actually wants it and view ebay as a form of recycling.  Sometimes they might get what it's worth, sometimes not, but they may not be that concerned.

Maybe the seller had a flurry of last minute bidders, which often happens, otherwise you may have a long trip to collect it or you will have to pay for it and tell her to keep it.  That's no hardship if the price was so low. 

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 9 of 37
See Most Recent

Oh well, I see you won it.  I had lunch between writing my post.

but this poor girl didn't have the sence to put a reserve price on it.

Smiley Sad  Another assumption.  And rather patronising don't you think? 

I hope she doesn't see this thread, not least because you have given out her ID.

I shall resist being patronising about your spelling Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 37
See Most Recent

Yes, you're right: presumptuous, patronising and indiscreet, and my spelling could do with improving.  I have plenty of faults, and admit it.  I've probably broken a few eBay rules along the tine, too.Smiley Very Happy  I should engage my brain first.  With your critical eye, I'm sure I will improve. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 37
See Most Recent

Smiley Very Happy 

Message 12 of 37
See Most Recent

Update on guitar.

Sorted - phew!  Most  amicably.  Lessons learned on both sides.Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 37
See Most Recent

frederick, I'm sure your motives for helping this lady were pure, but bottom line people have to take responsibility for listing their items by doing proper research and getting to grips with the vagueries of the ebay system. We all had to do it when we started out.

Incidentally, I see you still haven't stated your payment terms on your TOS which again could leave you wide open for delays in payment...

Message 14 of 37
See Most Recent

All's well that ends well. Smiley Happy

Regarding ToS, thank you for the reminder.  I can just add a sentence as I revise/relist but more likely to do it when there is a FLW because I am now selective at what I put up.

Message 15 of 37
See Most Recent

sorted amically meaning the seller has relisted

i see,   i thought you had decided to have it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 16 of 37
See Most Recent

I would have paid the postage and given her rather more, but she was adamant she didn't want the aggro of posting it, and  at £20.00 petrol it wouldn't be worth my while, so we decided to call it a day but this time round she is taking my advice and putting it up a realistic price.  I wished her luck, pointing out that if there is a local CC, they would give her a straight price on it as opposed to a buy back..  I really do hope she sells it, but I won't be bidding on it this time!  Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 37
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

Update on guitar.

Sorted - phew!  Most  amicably.  Lessons learned on both sides.Smiley Happy

Frederick, are you sure about that?

Your 'advice' to that seller was extremely bad - quite apart from the £50 minimum, did you tell her that reserve price fees are non refundable whether the item sells or not?

The lesson to learn here is to really stay out of something that it nothing to do with you.

What you did could have been considered auction wrecking as you bid against her T&Cs and you bid expecting to be outbid - ie with no real expectation or intention of buying.  Please don't try and convince anyone that by bidding 99p you were trying to 'help' a newbie seller as the next bid could only have been £1.04 if there were no others after that.

You can wrap this up as you want to feel good about it, but really this was none of your business. 

I hope the cancellation was conducted properly so that the seller does not have a defect on their account.

Really, it's not good enough to post in seeming agreement about character 'flaws' as if it's something to be proud of.

This is really quite shameful thing you've done here and I cannot feel that  your motives were as pure as you want to portay them.

Leave well alone in future.

Bid to buy - and for no other reason.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 18 of 37
See Most Recent

You don't know what transpired between my seller and myself, neither will I divulge that - that's P & C.  But if you reckon you've sussed me out as a spiv, "I cannot feel that your motives were as pure as you want to portray them."  then so be it!  Smiley LOL  Hang me up by my thumbs.  She's put the item up at a more realistic price.  Full stop, end of story.  My conscience is clear.

Message 19 of 37
See Most Recent

Ouch.. you don't take constructive criticism very well do you.
Message 20 of 37
See Most Recent