Magic pill to erase bad events - would you use it to make somebody "disappear"?

Today's Daily Express ran an article about a new drug being tried out on sufferers of MS which could one day be used by doctors or psychiatrists on a commercial basis to wipe out painful memories.  If it ever became commercially available - it would obviously have to be done under medical supervision, would YOU use it?.  In the film Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, (I've never watched it)  Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet have their memories erased, to forget about painful past relationships.  It might sound creepy, but in my mind it would merely be an extention of taking a group photograph to a professional photographer and having somebody airbrushed out so that they are permanently removed.  Something which I have done in the past.  They then give you back your original offending negative for you to destroy, and supply you with a second amended negative.  Result?  Some *Bleep* no longer exists in your photograph album.  This would be a merely taking it one step further to your mind.  The only danger is, your mind is finely balanced - if it goes wrong, you wake up one morning with your arms round a total "stranger"!  Lol!

Is there a memory you just cannot erase?  Is there a person you hate enough to do this to?  Like I said, I WOULD use it.  What about you?

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

No really bad things have happened to me thank god, and I wouldn't do it to anybody else,

There is one thing I said about 30 years ago that I would gladly wish I never had........   I had a boyfriend who came to the place I worked and finished with me, then rode off into the sunset on his motorbike, I said in a loud voice as he drove away, " I hope you fall off and break your legs"..........yes you guessed it he did about half an hour later.

Thankfully he fully recovered and went on to become a commander in the Australian Navy.

But eversince then I have never said anything like that to any body and have always regretted saying it.

The old saying... be carefull what you wish for comes to mind.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Memories are what make us how we are, would I erase them no even in the depth of despair Happy memories kept me from being bitter & spiteful , I would like to think you learn from them the good things as well as the bad!

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed Saas, memories make us who we are today. The good ones are great, but the bad ones make us grow.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

I have one event in my life I would erase from my memory but not a person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

3 -1 against.  I seem to be on to a loser on this one.

Be careful what you wish for? Smiley Happy   A couple of years back, the Euromillions rollover stood at an incredible one hundred and forty million  pounds.  

I told a girl at work about it, looked up to the heavens and said in a loud voice: "How much for my soul?"

"NO!"  She screamed back.  "He doesn't want it - at any price!"  Everybody laughed.  Her reply must have been heard - I didn't win Smiley LOL  She was very happy to see me on Monday Smiley Very Happy  Obviously somebody cared more about me than money 😆 !

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

Today's Daily Express ran an article about a new drug being tried out on sufferers of MS which could one day be used by doctors or psychiatrists on a commercial basis to wipe out painful memories.  If it ever became commercially available - it would obviously have to be done under medical supervision, would YOU use it?.  In the film Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, (I've never watched it)  Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet have their memories erased, to forget about painful past relationships.  It might sound creepy, but in my mind it would merely be an extention of taking a group photograph to a professional photographer and having somebody airbrushed out so that they are permanently removed.  Something which I have done in the past.  They then give you back your original offending negative for you to destroy, and supply you with a second amended negative.  Result?  Some *Bleep* no longer exists in your photograph album.  This would be a merely taking it one step further to your mind.  The only danger is, your mind is finely balanced - if it goes wrong, you wake up one morning with your arms round a total "stranger"!  Lol!

Is there a memory you just cannot erase?  Is there a person you hate enough to do this to?  Like I said, I WOULD use it.  What about you?

There is a magic drink called Irish Whisky that takes away the bad memories

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Get me a bottle quick Tommy! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

no I wouldn't use it, all memories are valuable to the whole person whether painful, bad, or great. That is what makes parents, grandparents etc able to give advice to the younger generations, they have the experiences to fall back on. I have some memories that still give me nightmares many years on, but I know my brain has stored these memories for a reason.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

No, I wouldn't use it, the less good things teach us to value the good things.

I already have huge memory gaps, I wouldn't want more.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

How could you learn from your mistakes if you couldn't remember them.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

I wonder if there's a way it could be used to help people with PTSD: and what would be the result if it could - would they just instantly be cured, because the memory and experience that caused the flashbacks etc had gone?  Or would they still have some symptoms, such as, maybe, panic attacks, but no longer know why?

I have no trouble remembering my mistakes - my problem is that I still fail to learn from them...

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

No I wouldn't use it because events in our lives happen for a reason and are part of our lives.

Sometimes it's hard to think why bad things happen but they are nevertheless part of the

road we travel and their lessons have some influence on the way our future maps out.

That all sounds a bit deep but I agree that, without experiences of all kinds, knowledge from

which we gain as we age, the younger generations could learn nothing and thus their path

in life would be haphazard and difficult.

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

I did think yes first but on second thoughts no not really. Our lifes are programmed i think to follow a route and we make decisions along the way,,,bit like right or left path really. Whats meant to be will happen or not happen. Bad and good things are supposed to be what life is about,,not all plain sailing as they say!!!.heart

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent