Imagine waking in the morning ...........

to find part of your road had disappeared into a large sinkhole ! 

The people on that street in St. Albans must be worried now about their houses as that sinkhole seems to have appeared overnight although the fire service were already aware of a small hole in the road previous to that.

66 feet wide and 33 feet deep ! it is some size of hole and it makes you wonder how much more is unstable around it and will another appear.

There seems to be more and more of these sinkholes showing up and it does make you think where next !

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

The latst:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-34420519

They're saying that water caused the chalk layer to dissolve? Often, run-off from roofs is led to a soakaway rather than in to the drainage system so I wonder if that played any part?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

my heart goes out to them, the shock must have been immense, just imagine waking up to that!!!

Photobucket

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Those stories I find really shocking - I just can't imagine what it would be like to open your curtains and see your drive has vanished: just lucky no-one was on it.  I wouldn't even know how to check whether an area was liable for sinkholes etc - but I bet it plays the devil with your household insurance...

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent