Ideas please

Bit of a wiffy one this one.  12 months ago we bought 2 new toilet seats not cheap £45 each, the one downstairs is fine, but the one upstairs is wiffy, I have put disinfectant on it but it still pongs, it is underneath the seat, I just can't get rid of the smell of wee wee.

Any sensible ideas welcome, I really don't want to get rid of it as it wasn't cheap.

Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

Ideas please

What is it made of?

I'd be tempted to use bleach if you can't shift it with anything else, just as a last resort like.  Woman LOL

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

It is made of wood, limed oak.  Just a bit wary of using bleach simply because it said not to on the instructions.

Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Can you use bicarbonate of soda Ed, I'm sure I've read somewhere that it neutralises smells , I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, could you google it?

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I could, would have to take it off though as it would fall off as it is the underside, it's a right pain to get on and off, it is the only one we have had that actually fits, all the others we have had, moved when you sat on them, ha ha, toilet surfing.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

lol. Ride em Cowboy! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

You could make a thick paste of Bicarb and water and paint it on, I would leave it on overnight if possible. Failing that, you could try liquid soda crystals, again leaving it on overnight. Put some kitchen paper under it to stop drips.  It maybe there are some hairline cracks in the limed oak that you can't see which is why it whiffs a bit. If there is its doubtful you will ever get rid of it.

Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I was thinking similar but holding it in place by wrapping clingfilm round it.  Put the seat down so it doesn't all fall to the lowest point.

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Can you also add lemon juice to bicarbonate of soda CG or white vinegar?

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Good idea the clingfilm, I guess you could rub dry bicarb into it so it gets into the wood grain then rinse it with a damp cloth the next day. You could also leave a small dish of white vinegar in the room to help absorb the smell. Don't know why it works but it does
Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I am not sure I would put vinegar on the actual seat it may harm the wood
Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I use bleach neat on the underside of ours - otherwise, it niffs enormously: it said not to, but it was the only way to get rid of the smell.  Other than evicting the men folk.

We've had that seat fifteen years, and the underside is quite dry compared to the top, but it hasn't seemed to have done any real damage.

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Thanks guys great ides, I will try them out one at a time to see which one works the best.

Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I was going to say Bleach but if its wood its dodgy.. Whatever you clean with maybe use one of them hang in Toilet Freshers afterwards or them new stripe gel things you squeeze out of the cylinder and they stick to the top near the rim and it will therefore be just under the seat but not touching it!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

may be worth getting some of the pet clearing up stuff - the liquid we use for cleaning and de-odourising after puppy accidents.Soak some rag in it and wind it around your seat and leave for a while.

Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

I think I would take the lid right off and see where the urine is laying, maybe under the big plastic washer if there is one, ive even had a toilet seat with sponge washers! they soon got chucked. If it is a swine to take off loosen the nut a bit and spray some bathroom cleaner in the gap.

Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Always used to make up a soda crystal paste in the pub, spread on generously leave for an hour then rinse off with a mixture of washing u liquid,lemon juice and good hot water

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 17 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Have just wiped it over with bicarb and left it for an hour or so, not too bad, still a feint wiff but not so bad, so I will do it again tomorrow.

I have some of the pet odour stuff might give that a try later.

It doesn't normally smell, I think it must be the hot weather, I have sprayed all the joints and the hinges, but the smell actually comes from the wood, what a picture that conjures up me sniffing a toilet seat.

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Glad it helped a bit, I do think you need to leave it on longer in order for it to penetrate deep into the wood as it were. . Men eh!

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

Ideas please

Would probably help if someone put the seat up, yuk.

Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent