Hospitals aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Had to go to the doctor's this morning and he wanted me to go to the hospital for a blood test but before I had the blood test, I had to ask them did they have any ice as the blood sample had to be frozen before it lab could test it.  Oh yes they had ice but because my GP had written the blood test he wanted doing instead of printing it, they couldn't do it.  My GP told me himself he couldn't print it and that it had to be handwritten.  I stopped off at the doctors on my way home to explain the situation and left a message for the doctor explaining what had happened.  About half an hour later, my GP himself rang and he was not best pleased.  He's rung the hospital and spoke to the head of department who sent his apologies for being misinformed as they could and should have done the blood test originally.  I now have to go back on Monday morning for the said blood test.  Our GP said I have to ring him if they won't do it.  Honestly, it's a right pain.

Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

I agree, I think they do a wonderful job with the tools they have to hand.  Our NI payments go nowhere near the cost of a stay in hospital.  When you think of the number of unemployed these days who pay nothing towards their care it puts a bigger burden on those who pay.  Private operations cost thousands of pounds.    I think we're extremely lucky to have the NHS. 

Message 21 of 47
See Most Recent

Me too. When I watch 24 hrs in A&E I often feel like smacking some of the people in the waiting area for their inane comments!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 22 of 47
See Most Recent

I thank god very day for our wonderful doctors and nurses who without I would not have Mr S here with me today ,would not of had every extra day with Nathan and would be unaware of the risks Miss S needs to avoid.

Yes there are times when hospitals and G.P's can be frustrating but without the free care which we are all entitled to where would we be ??????

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 23 of 47
See Most Recent

when lolly was first in, she was 3 and a half

i stayed with her, in the mornings mothers with similar aged children would pop their head round the door to see if i wanted to go get breakfast

i would be washing her as she couldnt get out of bed, they would say "leave that for the nurses, they will do it"

i was sad, and angry

like they dont have enough to do, 

i think every hospital will have their share of ungrateful patients

i feel so sorry for the staff

i dont know what would have happened to Lolly had it not been for the NHSSmiley Sad

i wont say they are perfect, but i will fight their corner

Message 24 of 47
See Most Recent

I agree ! But it's coming to the point that the NHS is losing what it first was intended for the over stretch on treating people who don't even live in this country etc, we have some of the finest surgeons , doctors nurses& research staff in the world, but because they are underpaid , understaffed & overworked, most either give up or go abroad, how many cases do we see of patients denied treatment because their living in an area that will not sanction a treatment because of the expense , the NHSis over stretched in all departments.
Once again the government lets us all down& spends money on stupid things!

**********Sam**********
Message 25 of 47
See Most Recent

So it's not the NHS at all, it's the government.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 26 of 47
See Most Recent

The two are intertwined.

**********Sam**********
Message 27 of 47
See Most Recent

I also agree with Merlin and CG - the NHS is wonderful, and we are so very lucky to have it. Not all hospital and staff are great, we've all probably had some bad experiences (I certainly would have some horror stories to tell), but at the end of the day, we really are incredibly fortunate to have it.

My lovely Nanna was a nurse for many years (chose to work every single Christmas Day), as was my sister, and several friends still are nurses. They work UNBELIEVABLY hard. My sister saved a couple of lives, doctors and nurses often go without a tea or lunch break for days on end because they are so very busy. Mistakes happen, unfortunately - it's the way life is. Sometimes we have to look at things from different points of view

(I do object to having to paying for the car park though)!!   Smiley Very Happy

Wish you well with your treatment, Books heart

Photobucket

Message 28 of 47
See Most Recent

Hi, yes thanks for that! That's all I really meant to say I have no quarrel with nurses they do a great job but for everyone that has a good experience another does not , it should be the same for everyone, but that's life!

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 47
See Most Recent

according to statistics (2 different sources)

61% are happy

so 4/10 are not

so its not 1 happy/1 unhappy

but i would like to know whether these people have a genuine grievance or having paltry moans

Message 30 of 47
See Most Recent

I don't want to start an argument with you! This is my opinion from information I have received from others & my own experiences.
I have already stated I have no axe to grind with the medical staff! In all walks of life we have good & bad . I myself have had good treatment, but others of my family have not.

**********Sam**********
Message 31 of 47
See Most Recent

a debate isnt an argument

this is a discussion board, 

i researched the facts and verified them

yes people have grievances

but to what level is a grievance counted as a complaint?

people who have to

take days off work

arrange childcare/take children along

travel on public transport paying exorbitant fares etc

IS an inconvenience not a valid complaint against hospitals

people are way too quick to moan

and seldom praise when its warranted

i am in the praise camp, there for felt i should speak up

we still support the hospital my daughter was in

it was a childrens hospital and she is now an adult

my mother's church raises money for them

we donate regularly

we actively support in "real life"

i shouldnt have to step down my support on line because other people had a wasted journey/feel differently

Message 32 of 47
See Most Recent

I work for the NHS and have done for 29 years.

The cutbacks an buget constraints that we face now are

unprecedented.

If a member of staff leaves,the post is frozen for 6 months.

Management then have to make a case for the post to be filled  

as you have "managed" without them for 6 months.

If the post is approved, it is only advertised within

the Health Board and open only to existing health board

employees, in effect only shufflelng  staff around and "freezing"

the wages bill and also only passing the staff shortage on to a

different department.

Also the "management" on the work floor comprises

of staff promoted into posts with no management

experience so when management decisions have to be taken, they 

are being taken by people who have had no training in how to

effectively manage people.

Yet in no department I have come across would staff not

go the extra mile for a patient, as that is why we are there.

Not having a go at any previous posts, just wanted you to

have an inside view.

Photobucket
Message 33 of 47
See Most Recent

I have mixed feelings.

My eldest daughter was brain damaged at birth due to  medical negligence yet the treatment she recieved afterwards by her paediatrician was marvellous. Fast forward 16 years she had degenerative scoliosis due to her cerebral palsy and was put on a waiting list, 18 frantic months later (her condition had deteriated) she went in for her op she was given a pre op calming tablet in the morning then at 10am the registrar came round and said that a bed may not be possible. Thats when I lost it and insisted a bed be found due to the length of time she had been waiting. The op went ahead and yet again the surgeon did a fantastic op. I thank him and all the nurses from the bottom of my heart.

My view of todays NHS is that they are way overstretched unnecissarily . I took my mother to A&E with chest pains and looking around the waiting room we were surrounded by numpties, cut on their finger etc. some were even drunk. Thats why we have to wait 4hrs plus and probably the complaints roll in.

Now on to money wastage. Two general hospials were knocked down in my area and a new one built. Well its like an art gallery, they have underfloor lighting, commissioned paintings and sculptures on the walls,safety glass staircases and the foyer is so huge you can hear your own echo. I coudn't even guess how much it cost but that sort of money could have been put to better use IMO.

All said and done we would be in a sorry state without them.

Message 34 of 47
See Most Recent

Thank you for your clarification! I am not asking you to step down with your opinion as I will not step down on mine, that is our right. I work with facts & figures & also know they can be manipulated to fit .
You are standing up in defence of the good points in the NHS & that is to be admired.
I am standing up for those who have not had such a good experience many who have genuine complaints in their bad treatment, not because they were kept waiting & other trivia, but real callous life threatening demeaning treatment!
These are people, not a fact or figure on a piece of paper. I say once again good & bad, let's make it good for all or at the very least for a few more!

**********Sam**********
Message 35 of 47
See Most Recent

Thank you ! You have made my point exactly , it's not the grass roots staff it's the so called management!

**********Sam**********
Message 36 of 47
See Most Recent

People have different experiences of it, some good some bad. I myself have known quite a few people who have had bad experiences when the NHS is not stepping up to the mark.  But in other ways i have experienced a good service. There is much to be said on both sides of the coin i think.

Woman Happy

Message 37 of 47
See Most Recent

Must admit though that the first couple of times my mum was in hospital with the hear complaint, the hospital staff were brilliant.  The last time, they weren't so good so there are good and bad.  

Message 38 of 47
See Most Recent

@calibra101 wrote:

Now on to money wastage. Two general hospials were knocked down in my area and a new one built. Well its like an art gallery, they have underfloor lighting, commissioned paintings and sculptures on the walls,safety glass staircases and the foyer is so huge you can hear your own echo. I coudn't even guess how much it cost but that sort of money could have been put to better use IMO.

That's the private sector investment isn't it, as is the case with more and more newly built hospitals. Together with more and more outsourcing of equipment etc. The NHS will never be fully privatised but some of it has to be otherwise it won't continue being able to offer us free treatment (Yes I know we pay through NI but it isn't anywhere near enough to cover the costs). 

It's never been the most efficient of systems but it's unique in that you can't always apply business/management logic to the running of it because patients are all different and have differing needs. Personally over the years I've always felt it's been management "top heavy". Nor has it helped every time there's been a different government in power who always seem to want to change everything the previous government did! Madness. I'm always amazed that Drs and nurses manage to do their work, although I  do see it would affect morale sometimes.

I've unfortunately had to use it over the years for one thing or another, mostly brilliant, sometimes poor but when it's the latter then standing your ground and asking for something to be done differently can be done. Overall it's a wonderful service that we should really value, as the alternative like the US system doesn't bare thinking about or Third World countries with no health support.

A £1 for parking is cheap price indeed.

Message 39 of 47
See Most Recent

Be it private or public sector it is still a massive waste of money. The layout is dreadful as well.physiotherapy is at the far end as is outpatients so if you are on crutches or have chest problems etc. you have to walk the distance of 1/4 of a football field just to get there. Oh by the way the management offices and coffee shop are just as you enter the building. Pfffftttt.

Message 40 of 47
See Most Recent