Has anyone had the new smart meters fitted for gas & electric?

As the title really. I am with Southern Electric & have been offered new meters that do remote readings & wondered if anyone had them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Sorry Maggie, not us yet, bit behind the times here.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

I don't know if we have them or not.  I can't say I've ever known a man come to read it.  We did have a similar (or perhaps the same) thing on the LPG tank.  It was linked to the phone line somehow and the gas people could find out how much gas we  had left and send the tanker accordingly.

In this house we have a thing we can just plug into a socket and it tells us how much oil we have in the tank.

It's all magic I think! 

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

These new smart meters read your consumption every 30 minutes apparently. All done by magic! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Hubby came back so I asked him if we have.  He said no. Woman LOL

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

They are a new thing, only just being rolled out. Eventually everyones meter will be changed bu I am obviously 'special'! lol

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

If it doesn't cost anything,  go for it!  Be a trend setter!  Woman LOL

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Of course you are special Maggie.  We don't have them for the gas and electricity but we do have one for the water meter.  It is far better.

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Clever isn't it. All done wirelessly. Poor meter men will be out of a job!

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

We are getting smart meters. but ours are pre payment...

we just changed supplier and the new meters are due in 2 weeks x

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

We don't have a smart meter, but EON emailed me yesterday to ask how I was getting on with my new smart meter so maybe we are due to get one.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

I bought one about 3 years ago but couldn't get it to work.  Yet another gadget that didn't fulfill its promise!  Maybe mine was made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. I'm not wasteful of energy so maybe ignorance about how the fast meter is going is better than knowing!

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Smart meters replace your gas & electricity meters Suzie. The monitors are something different.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Ah OK thanks - not the same thing. Yes, I bought a useless monitor. 

I think I'm with Southern Electric so maybe we will get the smart meters soon.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Can't see a great advantage really. It will just put the meter readers out of a job.

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

think the law says they have to physicaly read the meter once a year... They come and read ours annually and it's pre payment  so need to read it to send us a bill

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent