Has anyone been prescribed Efudix 5%

Had a biopsy on my nose, earlier in the year . The result was Keratoses,never been abroad, never really sunbathed, wore a hat a lot of the time, i  used to go walking/riding a lot when younger.

Went for my results the other day and have been prescribed Efudix 5%, have been warned that it will get a lot worse before it gets better, just wondering if any one on here, has had to use it and can tell me what to expect,

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

This leaflet looks quite informative:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files%5C5566efudix.pdf

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

That might be what Chris (books) had to use earlier in the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

My OH used it.  He spent about 40 years in the Merchant Navy getting well and truly fried, consequently he had got patches of pre-cancerous skin on tops of the ears and on his forhead.  It seems to work by killing off the suspect cells and the result can look rather nasty for a while, scabby and red.  It also, according to him, can be sore when used.  However, for him it seems to have worked, and that really is all that matters. He continues to get the all clear everytime he is checked.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

The cream I had to use Maggie was Imiquod (sp).  I had superficial basal cell carcinoma on my chest which just looked like eczema.  Mine did get worse before it got better.  I can still see where I had the cancer but it's fine now thankfully and well worth the suffering.  I have to go back to the hospital at 5pm on Monday for a follow-up appointment.  Good luck OP.

BTW, Maggie, I know that it only feels like the beginning of the year since I had the skin cancer but it was last September when I found out and the beginning of October when I started treatment.  It's surprising how time flies.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks all, just wanting to know if anyone had used it,  think i will be wearing a bigger hat from now on and more sun screen than normal, all we used when i was little was nivea creme

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

My OH had it for an area on his forehead, precancerous, if not treated will keep growing and get much worse. It does look sore and angry when you use it on the area but definately works. It has not returned.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

I won't go out in the sun unless I have factor 50 sun tan cream on.  It's a pain I know but at the end of the day, it's worth it.  I'm one of those people who doesn't sunbathe or use sunbeds but unfortunately, these things happen.

Hope that everything goes well for you Rhubarb.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Hi. Yes I used it on my nose as well. After a few days it gets red and a blister forms. It is a bit sore but doctor can prescribe cream for that. After a couple of weeks you get a scab. It is pretty unsightly but when the scab drops off it is cured. Unfortunately after a few years I have the problem again. Back to the doctors!
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent