Dog's Bedtime Prayer

Dog's Bedtime Prayer Now I lay me down to sleep, The king-sized bed is soft and deep. I sleep right in the center groove, My human beings can hardly move. I've trapped their legs, they're tucked in tight, And here is where I pass the night. No one disturbs me or dares intrude, Til morning comes and "I want food!" I sneak up slowly to begin, And nibble on my human's chin. For morning's here, it's time to play, I always seem to get my way. So thank you Lord, for giving me, This human person that I see. The one who hugs me and holds me tight, And shares their bed with me at night. Amen!
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

ooh how true is that?? they always seem to grow in stature once they get on the bed, where you thought your dog was 2ft in length he suddenly becomes 6ft with enormous paws hahahaha!!!

bless 'em all the same though.

Photobucket

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

Lovely poem & very true lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

I have enough trouble with the cat on my bed let alone a dog. Every time i move my feet she attacks them and sometimes her claws go through the duvet as it is a thin one. OUCH OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Woman LOL

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

Oh how very true,  say no more.  Very good poem.

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

Nice poem but no animals allowed upstairs let alone on my bed! lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

None of our dogs have ever been allowed upstairs, on the beds or on the furniture.  Now we're in a bungalow Lottie goes into the bedrooms (not overnight) but couldn't get onto the beds or furniture even if she was allowed to!  Woman Surprised

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

dogs not allowed on beds because it is bad for their joints going upstairs, but the cat grows to about 6 feet in length every night! She's not keen on the middle of the bed - prefers sleeping on someone's head!

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

The last dog we had used go upstairs like a bat out of hell and the same going down.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

My two Huskys have free range of my house...except for the beds. They know they are not allowed on them but sometimes they may come in the bedroom and sleep on the floor if they are stressed etc, Lovely poem though.

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

I love that poem, it could have been written for my friend's dog. Woman LOL

Our dogs (Rough Collies) have always had free range of the house once they are properly house trained but they're only allowed on the bed once we are awake and the throw is put on the bed, never during the night while we are sleeping. They learnt early on that if they get on the bed in the night they get booted straight off.

They also know they're allowed on the settees (covered by a throw) if they're not already occupied by humans or if they're invited up for a snuggle, but if they're told no for some reason then no it is.

Crikey, if ours didn't go up and down stairs there would have been an awful lot of places we couldn't have taken them to over the years - carrying a Rough Collie isn't really an option, except in a dire emergency!

Lots of places we go to require the dogs to climb stairs, we've had friends who lived in flats (no lifts) three of our dogs have been PAT Dogs visiting people in care homes, the beach we use is only accessable by a steep set of steps. What we don't allow the dogs to do is rush up or down the stairs, or play on them.

With indoor stairs our Barney knows to wait until the person on the stairs has reached the top or bottom before he follows you up or down.

We've always encouraged our dogs (not as puppies) to learn to use the stairs under careful supervision. You never know when stairs might be your only access to, or escape from somewhere and that's really not a good time to discover your dog doesn't 'do' stairs!

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

My greyhound isn't 'built for stairs' but will do a flight when we are out if she has no option. Greys just find it awkward coming down again. It's just a house rule, no animals upstairs. I don't want dog hair where I sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

In my opinion anyone who allows a DOG to sleep in/on  the same bed as them are ... well  .. quite frankly weird...

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

My brother & his wife have an ex racing Greyhound, she is. Lovely dog very sweet & graceful , she has never been used to stairs they are still teaching her to use them as they have steps leading to the garden, she can just manage to get up them but has to be carried down again as the last time she tried on her own she fell down them! So ending up back at the vets for treatment to cut & grazed legs. So I totally agree with what you say, I know Gs are slightly different because of their shape , but it is a very important point you make!.

**********Sam**********
Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

She looks like a sweetie. Woman Happy  Damson now leaps down the back three steps as it's easied than walking down them. She trots up ok though. 

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

No problem with stairs here, Poppy flies up and down them.   Our dogs do sleep on our bed during the day on their own cover,  then at night when we go to bed they go to their own beds downstairs and I take their cover off the bed, they are not allowed in the bed.  We did start off with good intentions of not allowing them upstairs but that didn't last.  We vacuum everyday to remove dogs hairs which is a pain, but when you have dogs that is part of looking after them.  They are part of our family, they know their place in the pack, though maybe they have to be reminded every now and then, but we wouldn't have them any other way.  They enrich our lives, keep us fit and look after the house when no one is home.   Weird, nope just a soft touch.

Just noticed I said we vacuum,  ha that will be the day.

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Dog's Bedtime Prayer

the main reason for not letting the dogs go upstairs is that they are giant breeds and not very young any more so the risk to their poor stiff hips is too much. Believe me, in all other aspect of life it is certainly the dogs that rule the roost, so I'm not just being a meanie keeping them downstairs.

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent