DIY question: advice on choosing polyurethane to top up epoxy resin on kitchen units

Hi.

I covered my kitchen units' doors with epoxy resin mixed with white pigment. Now they look like new and are safe from water damage. The problem is epoxy scratches easily, so I need to top it up with polyurethane as the custom is. However, all products I find have yellow tint, which will ruin the whiteness of the finish.

I was adviced that 2 part polyurethane (with hardener) can be almost colourless. But I just can't find it. Whatever products I find, don't mention epoxy as a surface they are suitable for. Sellers don't respond (probably, due to lockdown situation). Q&A don't help, either. This is just one example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002HMXR18/?coliid=I2GQ96G1FI9YZ&colid=21OVKHFSCDD06&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_li...

Could anybody give me a link to a suitable product, please? We went around brick and mortar specialst shops like FixIt, etc, but they don't have it.

Thank you for your help.

====================================================================
Just love Ebay
Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

DIY question: advice on choosing polyurethane to top up epoxy resin on kitchen units

Smiley HappyBest Bet Do A Search

search.gif

Petal
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

None of this will be relevant. But thanks, anyway.
Just love Ebay
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

"Now they look like new and are safe from water damage. The problem is epoxy scratches easily, so I need to top it up with polyurethane as the custom is."

I'm curious as to what the problem was that you chose to use pigmented epoxy resin at all, when you could probably have got a suitably water resistant finish, with a good degree of hardness and resistance to discoloration, from a good quality white polyurethane paint on a well prepared surface.  I painted our softwood garden gate with white 'poly' in about 1980, and it took over 30 years directly exposed to direct sunlight and all the other elements every day before it started to look anything like tatty. Even then the 'whiteness' still showed well, it was really just water ingress in to the end grain which spoilt the look.  

Maybe your local car paint sprayer guys or their suppliers can give you some advice as to what to use on top of epoxy. Be aware of course that some of the stuff they use is very toxic and certainly not a DIY option.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Thank you.
Just love Ebay
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

randalbond, if t's still relevant to you, you can also check out this guide ( here: https://a1garage.com/epoxy-garage-floors-guide/ ), where experts explain what aspects you should pay attention when you choose epoxy, and how epoxy can be used in different environment, such as garage, for example. It's pretty informative.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

`I covered my kitchen units' doors with epoxy resin mixed with white pigment. Now they look like new and are safe from water damage.`

Blimey, how much water do you get on your cupboard doors that you need to do that?

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

`I covered my kitchen units' doors with epoxy resin mixed with white pigment. Now they look like new and are safe from water damage.`

Blimey, how much water do you get on your cupboard doors that you need to do that?

**************************************************

You beat me to it.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent