Condensation on the INSIDE of double glazing

I'm being driven mad.  The view from my kitchen window is being marred due to a build up of condensation on the inside of the two layers of glass where I can't get to.  It's not my house and certainly my landlord is not going to waste money buying another unit for my benefit!  Somebody, somewhere must have heard of a tip how to solve the problem.  

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Hi sounds like the sealed unit on your double glazing has gone...the glass unit can be replaced fairly cheaply and very quickly.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks - I'll just have to put some more items up for sale!! Man Very Happy  Somebody suggested using a hair dryer on it.  I'll have to look out for one in a charity.  Having rather less hair than Sean Connery I don't use one! Man LOL

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Fred, if you are really stuck for cash to pay for a replacement DG unit and would risk trying a DIY fix, I'll tell you of a couple of ways I thought up a few years ago. 

As you may already know, the 2 panes are held apart by spacers, usually metal, which if you look carefully have probaly 2 rows of tiny perforations along them.  The spacers are tubes containing dry moisture trapping crystals, usually silica, so when the DG unit is made and sealed completely around the edges, the residual moisture in the trapped air passes through the perforations and is held in the crystals. If / when the sealant around the edges breaks down it allows ( moist ) air from outside of the unit to enter and overwhelm the capability of the crystals, allowing the excess to evaporate into the air gap and condense on to the glass.  With that in mind you can see that the process can be reversed by gentle heating from a hair dryer or fan heater to evaporate the condensation and expel it beyond the unit, at the same time drying out the crystals enough for them to work again as intended. Although this drying out on its own, without actually removing the DG unit and resealing the edges after the drying, would probably work well for quite a long time, maybe a couple of months, the best way is to remove the unit to work on it.  That then allows the sealant, normally black coloured, and the sticky tape which usually covers it, to be scraped through to allow faster and more thorough drying. Examination of the inner part of the frame can also take place to ensure that the drainage holes are clear.. Removal of the glazing beads which hold the DG unit in place can normally be done quite easily with a 'normal' metal bladed paint scraper, NOT a flimsy 'filling knife'.  I can tell you the technique I use but it's a bit long winded. Normally when fitting the DG the top is the first to go in, followed by the bottom one and then the two side ones, so removal should be the reverse of that. BE VERY CAREFUL, ESPECIALLY ON LARGE UNITS, AS THE TOP BEAD PREVENTS THE DG FROM TOPPLING AWAY FROM THE FRAME. 

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

I have had a few "blown" windows at home; depending on the size they normally only cost about £40 to £60 each to replace; it's not like having completely new glazing fitted.  They just swap out the affected unit from within the frame.  Takes them about 10 minutes for each one.

Of course, in your case as it's a rented place it is, as you say, the responsibility of the Landlord.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks a million - what you say and the way you describe it really makes sense.  I never knew it had silica gel.   I've certainly got nothing to lose.  I'll probably be able to pick one up from a charity shop for about £3.00.  We do have a couple of fan heaters but they're cumbersome things about three feet long.  No, a cheap hairdryer seems the perfect answer and I'll be able to see the tubes so I'll know where to aim the hairdryer anyway.  I've lived in the place for nine years and have a favourable rapport with the landlord.  It started off on a yearly contract, renewable but was then discarded altogether.  It works both ways.  He knows he has a steady income and doesn't want any trouble from me.    The last thing I'd want is some heavy sale doubleglazing bloke poking his head into every room seeing the sign of the almighty dollar.  They'd get no change out of me.  They're just a bunch of con merchants.  If, as you say it lasts a couple of months, it will be fine - just what the doctor ordered.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Frederick, my uncle had such problems with inside condensation, and it was all about bad installation of a glazing screen. Long story short, he simply installed a new one, using the best materials and sealing up every centimeter of every side. You can take a look here, at builderandengineer blog, to read some more information about secondary glazing process, if you're still lack of that necessary information. It's really helpful.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

If you are a reasonable long term tenant and have a good relationship with your landlord as you say then I don't see why you can't ask them to replace the unit. As others have said it's not like replacing the whole window and frame so (depending on size) usually around <£100. If you take the unit out you risk breaking it frankly. Glass is tempremental!!

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent