Cataracts, info. please if you have them or have had treatment for them.

During an eye test at T**** in January, I was told that I have cataracts in both eyes. I did know that something was wrong, hence having the test. Apparently they were then in the very early stages. They don't have the camera ( at that store at least ) to photograph the eyes so no pics. of the problem. I got new specs. from SS as T didn't have the style I wanted. SS do have the camera so really I probably would have been better going there. The T optometrist was very thorough with a caring attitude and worked beyond her normal finishing time to get my new prescription just right so I could continue to drive.. She wanted to write to my GP about the problem but I held her back as this is a really big issue in my life as I've never had surgery other than dental stuff. At 64 years old I've now worn specs. for about 56 years and really do wish to be able to keep on driving if at all possible.

I know that the condition can only get worse and that, sooner or later, surgery will be needed as there appears to be no other type of treatment which can offer such a high degree of success.

I have Googled and took on board all of the info. about the surgery procedures.

I'm now asking all of you peeps out there to tell me, please, of your experiences, good or bad. Was the treatment painful, did it improve your vision just a little or a lot, did you get any infection during the treatment, were you able to discard your specs. if worn before, etc., etc.,?

Many thanks in advance of your responses. 

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

Back again!   Yep, signed off by the consultant, that being no further visits unless needed, NOT signed off work.  🙂

Now for 'work'.   I've packed in. Retired. Well, for the time being at any rate.   

As I posted way back up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^ , I wasn't going to 'go public' at work about my eyes, and I didn't. Only the MD knew, and that was from me taking my SSP certificate in to work in December. No one else at work knows even though they have fished, pumped, tried to trick me into giving it out. You name it, they've tried it.  They aren't concerned about my health to want to wish me well, only to *iss take and ridicule.

My 65th. birthday was on Saturday 25th. January so got my state pension from then. Also, a company pension from a previous employer of many years ago kicked in, giving me quite a big lump sum and a small pension.  

So..................... after my 65th. I had the Monday off as holiday and had a brainwave. To cut a long story short ( extremely short ), I got voluntary redundancy, even though it wasn't on offer.   Smiley LOL  

So, with four years service to last October, that gave me 4 X 1 . 5 weeks pay ( tax free ) , plus 4 weeks pay in lieu of notice ( taxed but no NI deductions as you are excepted after 65 ) and 5 . 5 days holiday pay, I got quite a decent payout.

From me starting at that place I had been bullied, harassed, tormented, ridiculed ................. you name it. One guy got a verbal warning and then a written warning for his behaviour towards me.  A really nasty lot. Yes, of course I could have taken it to tribunal and got many thousands of ££££££££££££££££££, but I think I've took a better way out.  Remember, 'What comes around, goes around.'

So, effectively I'm 'a man of leisure.' 

All in I'm quite a bit down on money compared with if I was still working, but I don't have to get up on those dark, cold winter mornings and spend the day in that madhouse. I now just need a couple of weeks or so recovering from this latest op. and I may look for another job.

I don't care who you are, stop walking on the water while I'm fishing. --------------------------------------------------
Message 21 of 32
See Most Recent

Well done you. That took courage & I am sure you won't regret it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 22 of 32
See Most Recent

CONGRATULATIONS!!  I am so pleased you get the better of the "rotten" lot and appear to have come through it quite well.  If they were so nasty to work with, I am sure you will not miss them at all. 

It is a long time since we spoke Quiddy, I went off sick from work 13 months ago and had an operation in April 2013.  It was my intention to return to work, but unfortunately things did not work out and I was unable to carry on doing the same work.  In August I decided to not return to work.  I could have jumped through hoops I guess and gone for disability payments, but there is too much stress at the moment through some other issues, so I just requested to leave.  At one point I thought I would have to work my notice, but I had quite a few holidays accrued, so in the end I only visited to pack up my office and say goodbye.  I miss some of my work colleagues, but equally, like you it is nice not to have to turf out to work in the cold and wet weather.

I hope you enjoy your retirement - take care xx

Message 23 of 32
See Most Recent

I'm glad you kept us informed quiddy, it's good to know people's experiences in case we ever need the same thing.  I'm glad it all went without too much hassle.  I think the fear of things is often much worse than the thing itself!

You were right to leave that place if you didn't like it, there's nothing more draining than having to do something distasteful to you all day every day.  You'll probably have difficulty in getting another job at your age (sorry but it's true) but perhaps you could manage on a part time wage now you have your pensions.  That way you'll have time to enjoy yourself after years of working.

All the best whatever you decide to do anyway quid.XX.

Message 24 of 32
See Most Recent

Thanks for the good wishes. Yep, I'll probably just look for one or two full days work a week to top up my pension, I don't really intend to do full 40 hour weeks anymore. I could do something on a self employed basis, again, like I did for 23 years, but it'd be something different, completely different.

This latest eye to be done has settled in very easily and very quickly. It's now just 12 days since the op.. The other, left, eye still isn't as good even though it's 3 months since the op.. It's still got fluid behind the retina.  My vision at the moment with my right eye is very good short / near, not so good distance. Left eye, very good distance, not too good short / near.  Given time I'm sure it'll all work out well.  Even now things are overall so much better than before the ops..

Message 25 of 32
See Most Recent

Try B&Q. The employ older more experienced people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 26 of 32
See Most Recent

And isn't it nice Maggie,  to find someone not only polite, but knows what they're talking about!! Woman Happy

Message 27 of 32
See Most Recent

Musta always comes across as a very nice chap.Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 32
See Most Recent

Congratulations on the good outcome& hope you continue in good health, thanks also for drawing attention to this awful condition & encouraging people to go for EARLY. Diagnosis & treatment! .

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 32
See Most Recent

@ilove2patch wrote:

Musta always comes across as a very nice chap.Smiley Happy

Actually I was thinking of the older workers at B&Q but quiddy also fits in to that category.  Woman Very Happy

Message 30 of 32
See Most Recent

Indeed he does.Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 32
See Most Recent

Awwwww, shucks, thank you for the kind comments, I'm blushing. Smiley LOL

Fluffy, I hope things have improved for you since your troubles and you leaving work last year. 

How good is this for being 'cool'.

Two hours before the op. I was shown to my private room and the nurse did the usual pre-op. checks:- blood pressure 121 over 71, pulse 88. On the operating table just minutes before the consultant started work on me, pulse 66. Back in my room 20 minutes after the op., BP 131 over 69, pulse 99. In the theatre one nurse commented about my calmness. Post-op I was in quite a bit of pain around the eye so my pulse was up.  

Message 32 of 32
See Most Recent