Breast feeding

What is your opinion on women that breast feed their babies in public?  Is it right or should it be done discreedly?

........................................................................................................................................ I LOVE EVERYONE.
Message 1 of 105
See Most Recent
104 REPLIES 104

Breast feeding

It's fine by me, & it can be done without causing embarrassment to either parties.

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I'll probably be screamed at here, but personally I don't like the modern way of breast feeding in public. I know babies have to be fed and it's natural, but I don't like sitting in a restaurant or other public place and not knowing where to look because some woman has got her boobs out. A lot of people will find it emabarrasing - young boys and older people for example, and me. The mothers bleet about having rights, but they never consider the feelings of those who might not be comfortable with it. We all have the right to feel comfortable in public, and lots of things are natural that we wouldn't dream of doing in public.

It wouldn't hurt mother or baby to drape a shawl over her shoulder, and I would personally find that quite acceptable. I'm sure half of them do it just to "uphold their rights" and enjoy  causing a fuss.

If a young mother walked into a restaurant and the manager said " show us yer boobs or you can't come in" she would be outraged. But then gets angry when she's told not to.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 3 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I breastfed alll six of mine wherever I happened to be when they needed feeding.

I don't think anyone noticed as I never made a song and dance about it!

I always wore clothes that allowed for feeding without causing a stir.

There is absolutely no need to bare the whole breast, you can feed a child in such a way it just looks like a close cuddle.

Message 4 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I do see both points of view but it seems ridiculous to me that two people can walk down the street topless,  with the same size 'chests' but one is allowed and one isn't because one is a man and one is a woman.

Message 5 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I don't like seeing men without a top on either!

Message 6 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

Breast fed my children ( my first child for eighteen months ) and never ever fed the baby in public . In those days I did not drive either but always managed to fit things around feeding times .

It is of course possible to feed a baby quite discretely if needed but as stated it does need some forethought in the type of clothing that is worn ...or the use of a scarf or something .

Not all people are comfortable with the way that some approach breast feeding ...feeding discretely does not occur to them ....

When my children were young we were advised that the best way to feed was in a quiet place , free from distractions so that the baby would feed well ...a special time for both mother and baby . In the case of my second child I could see why this advice was good as it was very distracting for the baby when my toddler was charging around the room . I only managed to feed her myself for about 7 months ...it became very impractical ...

However today things are different ...many mothers do have different attitudes about it .....although I do recall an incident a few years back in my nursery class when a visiting mother decided to feed her child there and then . I was a bit taken aback as the child was almost 4 years old .....some of the other children were a little astonished too .....

It did seem inappropriate to me but the mother was not bothered in the least .....
Message 7 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

It doesn't bother me at all,  I didn't get on with breast feeding at all as my son was in special care for a week he wasn't really interested, It doesn't offend me, if it is a baby, however I think a 4 year old is riddiculous.

Message 8 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

Personally I don't give a damn and see no reason for stopping women getting them out in public, though I do appreciate a bit of decorum. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with where to look or embarrassment!

My Sister-In-Law manages to do it very discreetly, the other day I was leaving her house and was about to kiss baby and her when I realised she was feeding, so I blew baby a kiss and kissed sis on the cheek, no worries!

Message 9 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

It's absolutely fine with me and I think most do do it discreetly.

Message 10 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

The only scream youll get from me is of complete agreement !!

Message 11 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

If it was plopped out blatantly for all to see I would feel uncomfortable but if done discreetly then no problem. There are garments such as nursing tops  which allow for this.

Message 12 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

The last occasion it happened wa in a very crowded cafe--and blatantly was a very good way to describe it !!

Message 13 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

@023mjc - If a young mother walked into a restaurant and the manager said " show us yer boobs or you can't come in" she would be outraged. But then gets angry when she's told not to.

I guess I'm just old fashioned.

That is just about one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read.

If a manager of a restaurant said that - he would be fired, because he would be demanding to see 'boobs' in a sexual content.

BREASTS are meant to feed babies, ergo breastfeeding is a necessary requirement. B/Feeding can be done with complete decorum. I think some of the men on here think that they own women's breasts and have the right to say when they should or should not 'pop out'. Even some women appear to think b/feeding in public is disgusting. For goodness' sake - it is what they are made for!!! It is not something to be ashamed of, for crying out loud - a baby needs to feed, and what better way than from it's Mum.

Ohhh, Grrrr - this boils my blood, it really does!

Photobucket

Message 14 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I agree Meccanoman - seeing a man with no top on is particularly disgusting in some scenarios. In the supermarket, for instance, most unhygienic  (some supermarkets have banned this, actually). But some men think it is okay for the rest of us to have to endure the sight of their manboobs and beer bellies. YEUCH!  Smiley Frustrated

Photobucket

Message 15 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

So lovely to see, however, that most sensible people agree that b/feeding is the right way to go, and have a wonderfully accepting and mature attitude towards it.

(Sorry - have been involved in another, much feistier forum of late, where the posting rules are quite, quite different from here. Difficult to adjust). 

Photobucket

Message 16 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I also agree that breast feeding is the right way to go. Where did I say it wasn't?  If you read my post again you will see that I said a shawl draped over the shoulder is something I would find perfectly acceptable. I have no problem with mothers feeding their babies.

What I do have a problem with is when an exhibitionist bares everything  "because it's PC and she can". I was in a restaurant recently, tables packed close together on a busy sunday and a young woman sitting diagonally opposite me did just that. She was looking all around to see who was watching, and clearly enjoyed her own performance more than the other diners.

I don't want to eat my lunch whilst being confronted by some one elses naked body - male or female.

Please don't call me rediculous. My opinion may differ from yours, but I'm still entitled to it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 17 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I didn't call you 'rediculous' [sic] - I said your statement regarding a restaurant manager asking a young mother to get her 'boobs' out was 'ridiculous'. A woman 'getting her boobs out' for no apparent reason and a woman breastfeeding are two entirely different things. If you can't see the difference, then I have absolutely no hope of convincing you otherwise.

You may very well agree that b/feeding is not a problem, but you appeared to find it a problem in public.

Why should a baby not be able to feed at the same time as the rest of it's family?

Photobucket

Message 18 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I agree with you that it can be (and normally is) done discreetly, but sometimes very new Mums struggle with getting new Baby to latch on. Therefore, a bit of boob sighting is unavoidable. /There's only so much you can do under a cloth!!! Not nice to criticise an already stressed and struggling new Mum. Just avert your gaze - it's not rocket science.

I've been a b/feeding Mum myself, and have known lots of others - it has never been an issue anywhere, because it is usually so discreet, it's not even noticeable. I have never seen anyone wilfully flashing their boobs around. Honestly, never. So I fail to see the problem.

Photobucket

Message 19 of 105
See Most Recent

Breast feeding

I don't want to eat my lunch whilst being confronted by some one elses naked body - male or female.

Don't think of it in that way, then. Just think, Oh, baby is having his/her lunch. Simple!

I'm pretty sure the Mum was not sitting there naked. If that were the case, she'd more than likely been asked to leave the premises???

One bosom was possibly partly exposed - I expect you'd probably had to have actively peered to see it

Photobucket

Message 20 of 105
See Most Recent