Anyone make their own quiche?

mouse4702
Conversationalist

I've got the bought-in pastry, the eggs, the cheese, and it's only fear holding me back.  Have you a foolproof recipe?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

part cook the pastry  case  /part cook leek bacon ect   add to the pastry base then whisk egg with little milk  pour over filling sprinkle little grated cheese over top and bake 30/40 minutes  if it starts to get to brown cover in foil  or cover in foil for first 30 minutes the uncover for last 10 minutes to brown ...lovely...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I line a flan dish with shortcrust pastry. Fry off some bacon (chopped small) and sliced mushrooms, and you can add a few chopped peppers if you like them. Add to the flan dish, and then fill about 2/3 full with beaten egg. Sprinkle with grated cheese and if you have it arrange some sliced tomato and onion on the top. Cook on a lowish heat, probably gas mark 5 till the mixture feels firm under your fingers. It should set fairly firm. Delicious hot or cold, and can be frozen. We have it hot with chips or cold with salad or just on it's own. It's my husband and son's favourite.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Oooooooooohhhhh ladies!!  I forgot leeks - lucky I have a few in t'fridge.  Thank you so much - one more question - which cheese is best?  I've got some vintage cheddar or some Chseshire

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Don't you use milk or cream mjc? I like half milk & half single cream with the eggs & cheese. I can't bear sloppy shop quiche. Home made is the only kind in my book. I pinch of nutmeg/parmisan on top is good too.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

The tastier the better when it comes to the cheese.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Natural yogurt and cottage cheese instead of cream and full fat cheese for the healthier option, sprinkled with a little parmessan on the top for full flavour. Makes a lovely sliceable quiche.  xx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

3 eggs, splash of milk, either egg and bacon or cheese and onion for me, lots of pepper.  I did make one with roasted peppers and chirizo in the summer and it came out really well. Salmon and broccoli that's a nice one too.

Always ready made pastry, lifes too short, any way if it's good enough for top chefs then it's good enough for me.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

No I don't use milk or cream, I think it sets firmer without but that's just our taste. Some people like a softer texture.

As for the cheese I just use anything I've got which is usually mature cheddar, but after christmas it's a good way to use up all the leftover bits so I grate it all up together and chuck it on. We love it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Yes I always make them, purely bu guesswork every time.  A few eggs, a bit of cheese, some milk and anything

else I feel like chucking in!

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent