Any creative writers out there?

I was an avid letter writer who at one stage hadabout fifteen penfriends - this was years before personal computers came on to the scene,and we used to "romance" at a safe distance.  This led on to my next great love creative writing, which has been with me ever since.  I write mainly short stories ranging between 500 words and 4500 words for longer ones, som of the shorter ones have twist in the tail endings.  I''m about a fifth the way through a full length novel which will be about 70,000 words when finished which is about average length.  You'll laugh at this - I write romantic fiction from a MAN'S angle!  Men are as capable as women when it comes to feeling emotion but keep it under wraps lest it damage their macho image!  I've picked up enough rejection slips to paper the wall, but then Rudyard Kipling had to self-publish.  After he became established all the printers and publishers went a crawling to him to offer him their services - he promptly gave them all one-finger salutes telling them to get lost. 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Good luck with it Frederick. At least it keeps you out of mischief! lol Woman Very Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Good Going Fred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I am creative and i write poetry. Have always loved doing it since i was young,,but have never had the patience or time to go for a novel.. Its a lovely thing writing,,can get your feelings out and say what you want to say,in the way you want to say it!!.

Woman Very Happy

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

With creative writing everybody is beautifully and uniquely different.  There is no right or wrong style, and everybody's style is as different and as individual as a thumb print.  I could be writing a novel about an overworked doctor and the next story could be about a policeman, and yet an experienced reader will, within a couple of chapters know they are both from me.  You cannot change your style.  I'm not one for poetry but I have written a couple.  One in 2003 after I recovered from a near nervous breakdown I can never forget.  Apologies if you've read it before.                                                                                                                     

THANK YOU

I WALK THROUGH WOODS AND HILLS AND DALES,

ALONG THE RIVER BANK I'LL STRAY,

AND FEED THE PIGEONS, DUCKS AND QUAILS,

AND SOMETIMES HEAR A DISTANT PLANE.

AND AS I LOOK AT CLOUDS ON HIGH,

I REALISE HOW SMALL AM I,

YET LIKE A SHEPHERD OF THE FLOCK,

IN THEE I SEE A PERFECT ROCK.

A ROCK TO BUILD MY HOUSE ON FIRM,

AND LEAD MY LIFE THROUGHOUT IT'S TERM,

AS HUMBLY AND AS JUST, CAN BE,

IN THANKS FOR WHAT THOU'ST GIVEN ME.

ALTHOUGH I CANNOT SEE THY FACE,

YOUR PRESENCE FILLS MY HART WITH GRACE.

AND THOUGH THROUGH SIN I OFTEN FALL,

TO THEE I PLEDGE MY LIFE, MY ALL.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Oh I get up to all sorts of mischief!  In the very early years when supermarkets were just beginning to emerge, they used to press all their wares hard against the glass to draw people's attention of what they had on offer.  The temptation was just too much, especially if they were jars of marmaladeSmiley LOL  A group of us would all thump our backsides against the glass which would flex, knock against the display and would bring the whole lot crashing down! Smiley LOLSmiley LOL  I went to a boarding scool - how I never ended up in a boarding school with a difference - borstal, God only knows!

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

I did a creative writing course and have the certificates to prove it hahahaha!

I've had two poems published, and one other when I was 11 which I got a prize of 10/- (50p) 1966!

I haven't written anything for a long time now, but I have a lot of ideas written on scraps of paper....

one day................

Photobucket

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

I was reading some of my poetry earlier today as I had found it in the top of the wardrobe. If I say it myself it isn't half bad. lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

One day - keep watching.  One day, outside Smiths bookshop at King's Cross station, you will see in 4' high letters a board showing a picture of a novel with the words:  "Now in stock - Frederick E Woodworth's latest novel The Stargod.  Singing takes place on ..."  

Good grief, did you see the size of that pig flying past?

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

go on then Maggie....send some off and become famous!

Photobucket

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Crikey...I've entered another dimension...all this talent !

I'll be keeping a close watch on the next Booker Prize winner Woman Very Happy

I wrote something on the blackboard at school...all I got was the strap...& anyway, it was true...she did look like a man Woman LOL

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Like me.   "Honesty is the best policy."  That's what my late father always tried to instill into me.  Not so.

The headmaster was raving his sides out.

"Who broke that window?"

"I did, Sir."  I replied.  Honesty being the best policy got me the cane! Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent