Advice on purchasing a puppy

Hi Everyone

We as a family are thinking of buying a puppy.

Can anyone offer any advice on this.

I have not owned a dog since my single days a some 22 years ago.I have 4 children and although I have been asked many times if we can have a dog I have always said no.This being because with work and children I have not felt we could look after a dog as well.

My oldest daughter is now 21 and the youngest child 11 so we have discussed all the pros and cons of taking on a dog and everyone understands the commitment.

So my questions are ....

what kind of family friendly dog should I be looking at ,it must be a small breed.

Where is the best palce to buy from and where to avoid.

Which company to use for pet insurance/vet care.

Any thing else I should think about.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Message 1 of 93
See Most Recent
92 REPLIES 92

Hi

Yes I have all the information and a copy of his parents registration certificates

His DOB 13 Feb so he is 10 weeks old today.

He has been wormed on Beaphar  worming syrup and is due to be done again on 29th April...I have purchased the syrup for this.

His flea treatment has been Frontline puppy spray which is due tomorrow but I can not buy this so the pet shop said I have to weigh him and they can then advise.

His vaccination is due 2-4 weeks from the 11th April so I will book this with the vets.

His food the breeder gave me a large bag and said to start adding a bit of meat in a week or so once he has settled.

She said the nearest to the food she uses is Beta puppy and to introduce that slowly along with a little meat.

At the moment I have just tried giving him the food she gave me but he doesn't  seem interested...I assume he needs to settle down.

He has had 2 motions today and they are normal.

Message 81 of 93
See Most Recent

That's good news , a sensible breeder for once! Yes you are probably right everything is strange & frightening for a little one but he will soon settle, Beta puppy is very good but is quite expensive, the good thing about it is that you can then follow through into a teenager one before the adult diet although the adult one is quite large chunks for a little dog.

**********Sam**********
Message 82 of 93
See Most Recent

I'm sat waiting for more pics of our FHG puppies Molly & Loki! I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 83 of 93
See Most Recent

Guess when Molly's birthday was.......................................February the 13th!!!  I wished it was just a week later because that was my birthday and Lottie's birthday is the same as my late dad's.

Molly didn't seem to eat much at first but she's getting more adventurous now.  She was on Pro-plan puppy food.  She was quite happy to eat it dry but it never looks very appetizing, so Since yesterday I've started putting a little puppy meat from a pouch.  She enjoys that, and I just gave her a little scrap of white fish which she wolfed down, and a scrap of ham.

She's the sweetest little thing and today she actually walked up and down at the door so I let her out and she left a deposit.  OK, it was on the decking, but at least it was outside.

She been here nearly 2 weeks now and she's so at home.  She knows the routine and comes to her name.

She's training to beat Lottie to the food dish!!

Message 84 of 93
See Most Recent

Thanks for the update on little Molly, she's certainly learned how to wrap you all round her little finger. lol. But that's how it should be & they give so much back in return don't they?. I'm so pleased she's settled down so quickly & is learning her toilet training , she sounds a smart little cookie, does your other little dog still like her?.

**********Sam**********
Message 85 of 93
See Most Recent

Yes, Lottie either likes her or tollerates her very well.  They play fight and Lottie never hurts her.  They were both laying in Lotties bed a little while ago and Molly was licking Lotties mouth and inside it if she got the chance.  Disgusting pup!!

Molly has taught Lottie something naughty today!!  It's a new game called 'Who can dig the biggest hole in the lawn'!!  Lottie has NEVER dug holes before!! Woman Mad

Message 86 of 93
See Most Recent

lol. Oh dear! You aren't going to have a pristine garden anymore,naughty girl. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 87 of 93
See Most Recent

aaww bless, better confine them to one area if they are going to be diggies!!

Photobucket

Message 88 of 93
See Most Recent

She's determined to share Lottie's bed!

Message 89 of 93
See Most Recent

oh CG, she's the cutest thing isn't she?

Photobucket

Message 90 of 93
See Most Recent

Wow look at the size of her,  she is gorgeous, 

Milk   Loving the newest puppy also, need more photos please.

Message 91 of 93
See Most Recent

Where are the pictures of Loki???  

How are you getting on with him??

Molly is turning into a right little vandal, don't let the innocent face fool you!!

Message 92 of 93
See Most Recent

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

Where are the pictures of Loki???  

How are you getting on with him??

Molly is turning into a right little vandal, don't let the innocent face fool you!!

Now, who could get cross when you have that wee face looking up at ya heart

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 93 of 93
See Most Recent