A toast to all in FHG

May the best ye've ever seen be the wurst ye'll ever see,

May a moose ne'er lea yer girnal wi a teardrap in its e'e, 

May ye aye keep hale and hearty till ye're auld enough tae dee,

May ye aye be just as happy as a wish ye aye tae be.

Best wishes to you all for 2015.

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

A toast to all in FHG

What a lovely verse DC.  Best wishes to you and your family for 2015.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Well thank you very much Sir, and may ye're lum reek too.

But speaking as a moose, I do rather wonder what a "girnal" is, and why it may bring a teardrap to ma e'e?

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

have looked it up and aparantly it is a storage chest!

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Goodness me!  he must be wishing us a well stuffed storage chest such as never to disappoint a marauding moose (loose aboot the hoose)

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

A girnal is a grain store and the only reason a moose (mouse) would leave it with a teardrop in its eye is if it was empty.

Therefore the toast means I hope you are never left without something to eat.

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Ok folks will self report and get the full post removed as it is a serious toast but all seem to only want to belittle it.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

have notified the moderator with my request to have the toast removed so hopefully it will be removed soon.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Why? It was a lovely toast DC.
Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

I think that was a lovely toast. Happy New Year to you and all my friends on here.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

You've reported your post?  Why?  Have you no sense of humour? Throwing toys out of pram springs to mind here and for no good reason.  No one was being rude about your post but you appear to have taken offence.  Maybe FHG isn't for you as they are a mad lot on here.

Happy New Year to all.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Have to say.................. well said to doglover234sara

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Dark - please don't think people were trying to belittle your lovely post, not everybody understands local dialects and I think they were more interested in finding a word they didn't understand and finding out the meaning than trying to belittle you. It took me years to understand the folk up here, I used to go into shops and not understand so stand grinning like a cheshire cat while not having a clue what was going on! FHG is the place for you so don't let a little understanding put you off.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

touche stan 

and a happy new year to all on here from me...

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

I remember standing at the door of out house when we lived in Cruden Bay wondering why there was a rather animayed man standing there shouting "Ye lumms afear"  well thats what it sounded like to an Essex boy newly transplanted to the NE of Scotland. It was only when he physically dragged me out and pointed up I realised our chimney was in fact on fire! I dont know if the accepted way of dealing with this is discharging a drypowder fire extinguisher up it, but it seemed to have the desired affect!

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

that is so funny wskneil, I think everybody around here thought I was slightly deficient as I used to just smile and nod at everything, was possibly receiving the most horrific abuse for all I knew. I understand the dialect much better now but still have to ask people to slow down at times!

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Was worse when you got a few of the locals together as they would forget there was an idiot in their midst and revert to broad Buchan, impenetrable to us southerners but easiy understood by the Norwegians who used to come over from Peterhead's twin town of Alesund!

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

A toast to all in FHG

Many years ago, I had a job in a restaurant in Durham, and the manager, who was from Middlesborough, thought I was very "special" for the first few weeks... the trouble is, you feel there's only so many times you can ask someone to repeat something without being rude!

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent